No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: painted Uranium vase victorian bohemian??  (Read 1439 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: painted Uranium vase victorian bohemian??
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
I will get the ligt on it when i gets a bit darker, that way its easier to see where the glow comes from, The layer is quite thin although is thicker at the low waist (more like ankle ;D)
thanks michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »
You should be able to tell by pointing a key fob light inside or even a tube light across the top. With my tube light the inner layer stays white both inside and at the edge. You have to shine it on the inside because if you shine it from the outside the green light produced is transmitted through the white layer. Green light is not produced until the UV light gets to the uranium layer, so if there isn't any uranium in the white you won't see the green on the inside, just on the outside where it has penetrated the white layer. Think of it like a chemical reaction - it's not a light transmission or reflection effect, so it won't happen until the light and the uranium atoms meet.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
You're probably right that the uranium's in the outside.  At the top, where you can see the inside layer, it looks less bright in the UV photo.

I would think that the effect would be similar to reflection, since the uranium is absorbing the energy then re-emitting it.  It's sending it in all directions, not just in the direction it was going to begin with.  The difference would be that less light is getting to it from inside, since it has to go through the (semi) opaque white.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand