No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote.  (Read 10513 times)

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote.
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:30:06 PM »
Dear Glass Message Board, I have had this Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote for some time. Which seems to date from 1850 to 1860. It is similar to the American Boston and Sandwich compotes of the same period. Is it possable to see any of the designs of English Pressed Flint Glass Compotes of this period. I have done a search on the web for this item but had no luck.  Did the American Glass Companys such as Boston and Sandwich imported thier glass products into England during this period. Regards TraditionalJazz.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:55:10 PM »
Can you post some photos of your compote and we'll see if we can identify it for you? We have a help with pictures topic here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html but if you get stuck you can either ask for help or email me copies of pics and I'll resize and add them for you. (For my email address click the wee envelope below my name block to the left of this post.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »
Can you post some photos of your compote and we'll see if we can identify it for you? We have a help with pictures topic here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html but if you get stuck you can either ask for help or email me copies of pics and I'll resize and add them for you. (For my email address click the wee envelope below my name block to the left of this post.)
Dear Anne, Thank you for your reply and instuctions. I am sorry that i can not use my camera at the moment. The glass compote is an open one quite small. With quite large diamond pattern. With at the top _--_--_this sort of end like a castle wall with in between round circles.I seem to remember that there was a english pressed glass goblet/rummer with what the pattern was called pineapple. Not the New England Pineapple pattern. The base is domed like the boston and sandwich versions. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
Dear Anne, Thank you for your reply and instuctions. I am sorry that i can not use my camera at the moment. The glass compote is an open one quite small. With quite large diamond pattern. With at the top _--_--_this sort of end like a castle wall with in between round circles.I seem to remember that there was a english pressed glass goblet/rummer with what the pattern was called pineapple. Not the New England Pineapple pattern. The base is domed like the boston and sandwich versions. Regards Traditional Jazz.
Dear Everyone at the Glass Message Board, Thank you for viwing my posting. Here is some more details of this Flint Glass Compote. The top is open like a bucket shape with a castlelated top with circles at the top and with circles at the base which is domed and there is a stem. The rest has diamond pattern. Regards TraditionalJazz.

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »
American Pressed Glass was certainly exported to Britain - one of the earliest Pressed Glass Commemoratives made to mark Victoria's Coronation was made in the US!

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »
American Pressed Glass was certainly exported to Britain - one of the earliest Pressed Glass Commemoratives made to mark Victoria's Coronation was made in the US!
Dear malwodyn, Thank you for your reply. Yes i forgot about this. This is a glass plate which has the portrait of Queen Victoria and the date 1837 which is illustrated in some books. Regards Tradional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:15:43 PM »
Dear malwodyn, Thank you for your reply. Yes i forgot about this. This is a glass plate which has the portrait of Queen Victoria and the date 1837 which is illustrated in some books. Regards Tradional Jazz.
Dear Everyone at the Glass Message Board, I have recently found a pressed glass plate which has some of the motifs found on the American Pressed Glass Plate of Queen Victoria and the date 1837. The plate is about 10 inches in diameter and seems to date from around the same period as the above mentioned glass plate and seems to have been manufactured by the Boston and Sandwich company. Also aquired what looks like a very large salt cellar or sugar bowl which has a similar pattern as certain Boston and Sandwich pressed glass of 1840?-1860 period. Which seems to fit in with the above mentioned compote. The sad thing is that there seems to be no information on early pressed glass that was made in england of the probably sometime before 1840 till 1860 period.  Regards TraditionalJazz.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:58:24 AM »
As I said earlier, if you would post some photos of the pieces you'd like to know more about then someone may be able to give you more information. Without images we are working blind, and given the vast amount of different makers and patterns we have no way of which ones you're referring to. If you want us to help you'll have to supply photos.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »
As I said earlier, if you would post some photos of the pieces you'd like to know more about then someone may be able to give you more information. Without images we are working blind, and given the vast amount of different makers and patterns we have no way of which ones you're referring to. If you want us to help you'll have to supply photos.
Dear Anne, Thank you for your reply and comments. I am sorry that i can not post photos here at the moment. Altough i do have a digital camera for some reason i can not download photos from the camera. I will probably have to do it via a cd disc. Also i will read the instructions that are on this site. So hopefully at some point i will be posting photos on this particular posting. Sorry for not being able to post photos. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
Dear Glass Message Board, I have had this Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote for some time. Which seems to date from 1850 to 1860. It is similar to the American Boston and Sandwich compotes of the same period. Is it possable to see any of the designs of English Pressed Flint Glass Compotes of this period. I have done a search on the web for this item but had no luck.  Did the American Glass Companys such as Boston and Sandwich imported thier glass products into England during this period. Regards TraditionalJazz.
Dear Glass Message Board, I have recently found another compote in the same pattern. Except that this one has a large bowl as in the usal  pressed glass compotes of the victorian era. Also the stem is the same as in the above mentioned compote except it is slightly larger. I have a feeling that the above mentioned compote might be what is called an open sugar bowl. I am sorry about the slight spelling mistakes. Regards Traditional Jazz.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand