No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote.  (Read 10573 times)

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
Re: Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote.
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 06:38:56 PM »
Dear Everyone At The Glass Message Board. I am now going to post some photos of the small compote which has the same pattern bowl as The Oxford Tea Party. I am sorry for taking my time to post these photos. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Mod: Images added for you now. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Hi Jazz,

I would be interested to see a photo of anything that might be Molineaux & Webb, particularly with a Greek Key pattern as they used it a lot. I have been following the photos on this thread, and comparing them against some images I have from the Molineaux & Webb pattern book. Your images so far do not look close to items in the pattern book, but the Oxford Tea Party item comes pretty close to some designs in the "Centre Stands" section of the book. This would also suggest the date for the Oxford item, at least, is around mid 1850s.

Neil
Dear neih, I have since found out that you are running the Gensis Of Molineux And Webb website. I have recently posted a photo of the small compote that i have. The pattern does match the Oxford Tea Party compote. Do you have anymore information on the following quote by yourself  "but the Oxford Tea Party item comes pretty close to some designs in the "Centre Stands" section of the book" Regards Traditional Jazz.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 08:27:38 PM »
Hi Jazz,

The pattern book has a number of comports / centre stands from the 1850s. Most of them look quite heavy with a thick stem. The majority of the centre stands are shown with the top detached, and are probably showing an upside down comport with a dish balanced on it. A couple show frosted designs but the majority have cutting in the same ballpark as the photos in this thread - it just so happens that the Oxford Tea Party one looks a little closer to the style. I have yet to see any examples of these 1850s pieces which I would say might be Molineaux & Webb. There is however, one shown on page 27 of the 1978 book "Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments" by Barbara Morris, which is captioned as probably by Molineaux & Webb.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 12:12:06 AM »
Hi Jazz,

The pattern book has a number of comports / centre stands from the 1850s. Most of them look quite heavy with a thick stem. The majority of the centre stands are shown with the top detached, and are probably showing an upside down comport with a dish balanced on it. A couple show frosted designs but the majority have cutting in the same ballpark as the photos in this thread - it just so happens that the Oxford Tea Party one looks a little closer to the style. I have yet to see any examples of these 1850s pieces which I would say might be Molineaux & Webb. There is however, one shown on page 27 of the 1978 book "Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments" by Barbara Morris, which is captioned as probably by Molineaux & Webb.
Dear neilh, Thank you for your reply and comments and also details of Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments by Barbara Morris which i will follow up on. Good Luck with Molineux and Webb. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
Hi Jazz,

Dear neilh, Thank you for your reply and comments and also details of Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments by Barbara Morris which i will follow up on. Good Luck with Molineux and Webb. Regards Traditional Jazz.
Dear neih, I have managed to find a copy of this book. The photograph is not all that clear. But this version is similar except that it seems to have some sort of frosting. Also the books does not give a full description of this item only a very brief description "probably by molineux and webb". Regards Traditional Jazz

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
Dear Everyone at the Glass Message Board. I have recently found a large oval dish which has the same pattern as The Oxford Tea Party compote. At first i thought that the outside of this dish was badly scratched for some reason. On closer inspection it turns out to be somewhat pitted all over. Something to do with the manufacturing process. I think at the time that these items where made. That they must have had problems making large items such as this dish. The only scratched area seems to be inside. Which probably made me think that this item bas badly scratched. I will be posting photos of this oval dish at some point shortly. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
Dear Everyone at the Glass Message Board, Yet more developments this this glass saga. I have recently been through the design regestrations in the hope that there might be something there. There are two patterns which seemed to match. One is by Edward Bolton and the other is James Couper. This will take a while to sort out the most likely candidcate????. Also shortly i will be posting photos of the oval dish. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 06:22:17 PM »
I'm not sure Couper made pressed glass.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »
I'm not sure Couper made pressed glass.
Dear Lustrosstone, Thank you for your reply again and comment. Couper did a pressed glass design as i have seen the drawing with my own eyes. This will take about a week to sort this out. Which by than i will have more details to add about couper and bolton and a possible identification for the pressed flint glass discussed here. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »
Dear Everyone at the Glass Message Board. I have recently found a large oval dish which has the same pattern as The Oxford Tea Party compote. At first i thought that the outside of this dish was badly scratched for some reason. On closer inspection it turns out to be somewhat pitted all over. Something to do with the manufacturing process. I think at the time that these items where made. That they must have had problems making large items such as this dish. The only scratched area seems to be inside. Which probably made me think that this item bas badly scratched. I will be posting photos of this oval dish at some point shortly. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Dear Everyone at the Glass Message Board, Following this will be photos of the glass dish discussed above. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Mod: pics added for you :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand