No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano paperweights  (Read 2947 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Murano paperweights
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:39:56 AM »

There are regular questions on this forum and elsewhere about Murano paperweights - sometimes about which specific glass maker produced the item, sometimes asking about the period when the item might have been made, or more often than not asking about the basic attribution of the item (ie not recognising it as Murano). Auction houses often make mistakes in attribution of Murano weights (calling them antique French), and some eBay sellers are no better. One common confusion concerns age, with the owner saying 'My granny had this for 30 years, and she died aged 90, so it must be at least 120 years old...' The reality is often that granny bought it 30 years ago on a trip to Venice. Another source of confusion is the profusion of Chinese weights sold under the Murano banner.

To the point: does anyone know of a website - or other resource - which shows decent images of Murano weights (preferably with maker's labels), and some indication of the period of manufacture?  If not, perhaps we could create one - I do not mind hosting it, if people with labelled weights were able to send me images.

Any views or comments welcome.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jurgen

• Members
Re: Murano paperweights
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 02:32:41 PM »
Hi all...........Here, here!! I'm all for it!! I would not mind sharing! But then again, I only have a dozen or two of weights with labels or proof of manufacture...............Jerry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:35:40 PM »
Long over do!!!...............Jerry

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 03:17:27 PM »
Very good idea, Alan. I have a few Murano weights that have a label or are documented. Most of them are the standard concentric millefiori, but you may be able to use them. Let us know and I will dig through my picture files.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
Excellent idea.

Perhaps some pictures of properly labelled Chinese as well. I know we've had a few that had a lot of us on the fence as to attributon but a good example with a 'made in China' sticker can only help.

I've identified some of my pieces by seeing one just like it on eBay with a label. What if we asked permission from sellers to use their pics?
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
Hi

I agree that it would be a good idea to record labelled Chinese weights.  I have 50 or so modern ones on my website that are taken from the makers' websites, but there are some around from 30 or more years ago with 'Made in China' labels. I ony have one, unfortunately.

Given that responses so far are positive, I will start setting up some basic web pages, and so any contributions gratefully received.  

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »
Some good sites for Murano labels but neither attemps to match the item to the label for future use when the label is missing:

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=5

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=102

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
A few years ago I intended to visit Jackie Lindsay of Corner House Gallery with a view to starting a study of Murano weights (which would have been a welcome change from my fascinations with things Ysart). But it never happened. So I would be pleased to see the results of any attempt to categorise Murano weights aginst labelled examples.

Just one main thing, though ...

I would ask that, even from the basic beginnings, some emphasis is placed on the point that a few sources of Murano canes have been used by many Murano makers, as well as other makers around the world. Therefore cane matching for unsigned and unlabelled weights cannot be a gurantee of determining the actual maker.
KevinH

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:40:13 AM »
I agree with Kevin. Other than 1970's "ALT" who made some wonderful picture canes and complex bundles, and ca. 2000 "3 Fiori" who (along with ALT) made some innovative bundles using the standard canes to create more complex canes, most Murano paperweight makers have simply used standard Moretti/Effetre canes in their paperweights without much further thought or effort. Cane layout designs and color combinations are probably going to be more relevant in future identifiaction. Type of color ground will, I believe, be relevant. Profile, I believe, will not be relevant except as to bullet vs. round shapes. And another aspect that makes it very difficult (at least from a dating standpoint) is that the variety of cane designs from Moretti/Effetre has changed at glacial pace ie very slowly. Canes being offered for sale today were around 20 and 30 years ago. I have found it easier to date cane designs and colors by first, second, third and fourth quarters of the 20th century (ie in 25 year intervals generally ending and begining with the major world wars).

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:46:32 AM »
Hi Kev / Andy

Thanks for your helpful comments - I have no illusions about this being a simple exercise. I see three distinct elements for someone looking to attribute a paperweight to Murano: first, identifying it as a generic Murano piece; second, estimating the date it was made; and third, attributing it to a specific maker. And I think there are some other pitfalls for the unwary as well as the important matter of there being few cane makers but many paperweight makers on Murano.

First, paperweight makers outside Murano have used Murano canes at times - for example, Liskeard Glass, Royal Brierly, I think Jim Hart has used Murano canes at times (?), maybe also Langham Glass (?) - forum members probably know better than I do. So identifying a Murano cane in a paperweight does not guarantee it came from Murano, let alone which factory. (The 'false friend' problem).

Second, neither a Murano label nor the fact the paperweight was bought in Murano guarantees that it was made there. Significant numbers of Chinese weights have been sold in Murano / Burano / Venice in the last few years, some bearing Murano labels. (The 'grey import' problem).

But because something is complex and difficult does not mean it should not be attempted. ;)

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand