No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vetro Artistico Veneziano Glass Bird  (Read 3055 times)

Offline rshepherd8

• Members
Vetro Artistico Veneziano Glass Bird
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:32:54 AM »
In cleaning out my grandmother's house, my father found some glass objects.  One of which is a Glass Bird.  The label is gold and red (I saw it in the label posts).

Label reads: Hand Made Geniune, Venetian Glass, Vetro Artistico Veneziano, Made in Murano Italy

I was trying to find out more about the piece - was it made in Italy, when was it made (from other posts it appears the 60s, 70s), the value, and anything else.

I have tried to attach pictures but the ones I have are too big.  The bird is white glass with ruby red in the middle. 

Any information about the maker, if it was made in Murano, Italy, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.  I am starting my education in Murano Glass.  She has other pieces, this is the one I am starting with.

Thank you,
Rebecca

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Vetro Artistico Veneziano Glass Bird
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
Your bird is a Murano sommerso bird. The label is mid-century generic, so it doesn't tell us anything about the company who made the bird. I don't recognize your bird. The kind of base it is setting on is one of the common ones for Murano birds. Hope this helps some.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline rshepherd8

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »
Thank you!  That is helpful.  Now I know what my bird is called.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »
Sommerso is a technique used on lots of glass and is not special to glass birds. It means submerged and just indicates that there is a distinct transition (a line can be seen) between one colour of glass and another.

Glass birds have been made on Murano (and elsewhere) for many years by many makers so they can be hard to identify if they don't have any particular distinguishing features. The cockerel (which yours is) is the bird of Murano and often made as tourist pieces, which makes them even harder to identify.

They only rarely have much value

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand