No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: today's foray - ID = Dalian  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
today's foray - ID = Dalian
« on: October 16, 2005, 05:06:20 AM »
The first in 10 years. Like being a puppy let of the leash, so much to sniff at and lots of interesting people to talk to.
This is the first purchase, there was a matching pair.

They are 15cm high and 16cm wide, roughly. I have seen this glass on the web and cannot retrace the steps. It's black, cased, with copper aventurine and a lovely shape. 

There were other interesting items, the provenance of which I am now able to take a guess at, partly by learning from this forum and the Whiteriars forum. So many thanks, it makes collecting much more rewarding to have some knowlege, as opposed to only the visual appeal.

The Walsh 'Pompeian'  fruit bowl is now retired from service and replaced by a massive spanish 'Vidrios de Lavante' bowl with a similar 'ping'. So the boys can knock it as much as they like and I won't have a heart attack each time.
R

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
today's foray
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 09:37:25 AM »
It's got a nipple, perhaps it is italian. I've seen this decoration before but I can't remember where?  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Anonymous

today's foray
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 09:47:29 AM »
Sorry Ruth but 100% Dalian light Industries, China  :(  they normally come with a circular gold foil label on the neck.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 05:26:34 PM »
That's ok, they are pretty, and were only a few dollars. Good learning! I hope the rest of the buys prove not chinese  though.
Thanks R

Offline David555

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »
I can't find any pictures of this vase made by 'Dalian light Industries'

I think it is a piece of Nason c1950s

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib4ab.htm

have a look at the above link Ruth - item 5904 - maybe this is where you saw them - I know your shape is not there, but I have seen Nason vases in your shape with this decoration, it was really popular they did every shape imaginable in this style

If I am wrong then 'Dalian light Industries' are copying the exact style, aventurine is expensive and I have never seen a modern Chinese vase with it, not that deep copper tone - show me one and I will say I am wrong

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 07:03:16 PM »
http://www.morettiglas.20fr.com/slide_show.html?show=GLASS_GALLERY&picture=picture7.jpg

I thought the copper looked from the same stable but mine are light and there is not the clear glass rim. Also they look newish. Also the shape. Got to go.
Cheers, this is interesting.

R

Anonymous

today's foray
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 07:17:51 PM »
Dalian

--------------------
Vincenzo Nason blown; this type has a polished rim

-------------------
Vincenzo Nason pressed

Mod: Images added to board for when Tinypic loses them

Offline David555

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 08:00:53 PM »
Excellent - I don't know your name but good work 8)

Good photos - lovely bits of Nason, the Dalian is a rip off (or homage) and I see how people can easily be misled, for a few quid I probably would be as hope springs eternal

Not all bits of this type of Nason had a polished base, I notice the bit of Dalian you have is less sophisticated than the bit in question, notice how the aventurine goes all the way, almost ribbing, up the neck - it doesn't do that with your Dalian photo.

But - I agree with you, Ruth says her vases are light in weight & the Nason ones are not and your excellent pictures show the crispness and unique application of aventurine, close together with a ragged edge to each bit

Your Dalian one is pretty awful in comparison, but shows smudged blobby aventurine like on the bit Ruth has

OK good stuff

Thanks for going in depth with pics it will really help people who think they are buying Nason, as no doubt some bits of this Dalian will be better than others – when I google for them all I get is ‘lighting’

It would be good to see the Dalian label you talk about, maybe later if you have the time - just to firm it all up totally

Adam  D555 :twisted:  :twisted:

Sorry Ruth if I gave you false hope :cry:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 05:40:25 AM »
No worries, my rules are : Never buy unless I like it, or want to research it, or am sure of the provenance, that is, as far as is possible!

I did also buy a matching pair of 'Snowflake' vases, one with partial label, for the same price. Not because I liked those particular ones as much as the red one, bought in ignorance years ago because I loved it but because I was confident and that's enjoyable too.

I like the copper on black and they were about 15 pounds the pair. That is cheap considering the effort that must go into making them. Bearing in mind that  labour is cheap in China. [ Copper is not cheap or the easiest to work with because it burns at relatively low temperatures]?  

It would be simpler to stick to one factory or country or items with one common characteristic but that discipline so far eludes me! Mind when the myopia from googling gets too bad, that might be necessary. Also if I were more systematised it would be easier to find where the origin of the visual memories could be located.

As an amateur, wishing to make a perfect buy is akin to hopeing to win lotto, unless one has a hotline to God. And as an atheist that definitely won't work!

So  my Dalian appeals to me for reasons that it that it will not appeal to others and I did think it could be Italian, che sarà sarà.

It will be wonderful to be bang on one day but it could be a long time coming and I can look forward to proving, one day,  that one swallow can make a summer!! [When summers don't happen and swallows get confused]????

Mind that is part of the human condition, being in the now is harder.
Regards Ruth
 :wink:

Offline Glassyone

• Members
today's foray
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 05:44:02 AM »
Forgot to say----never thought it was Nason!
Yum yum, I should be so lucky.
R

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand