No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Davidson Jade.  (Read 672 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Davidson Jade.
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »
I'm leaning towards Davidson, since there is no reaction under the torch  -  but I understand that other factories produced 'jade'.   According to the Stewart's book, another possible sign for Davidson is the translucent areas  -  and this may be seen in the 'panels' area in the lower half of the pot.   I have looked at the 'jade' Nos./specifications  -  trouble is I don't know exactly what this is called, so can't run it down -  is it a bowl or a vase?   about 19.5 cms. high and about 17.5 cms. wide.   No marks of course, and you can see the slight fading of colour in the top half.   Apparently, Davidson made 'jade' for only about a couple of years, so assume this about 1932 ish.    Grateful if anyone can pin it down for me.   thanks for looking.     Paul S. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
Re: possible Davidson Jade.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
Hi paul,

Yes it is davidson jade. It is a 700 VG flower bowl/vase. It would have originally come with a  4 1/2 inch flower dome.

It is a rare piece of Davidson Jade as well.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: possible Davidson Jade.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »
thanks very much for the help Chris.  -  and I immediately looked for a 4.1/2" dome, but don't seem to have one  -  but do actually have a 4" one in Jade, which does of course fit.   However, I'm surprised you mention the slightly larger size as might be difficult to hold the dome whilst putting it into the vase  -  very little, if any, room left for the fingers.  Oddly, even the 4" one doesn't sit properly on the bottom of the vase.    Anyway, it's a desireable item and nice to know it's a bit rare into the bargain.     Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand