No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Surprising Elephant - mixed UV-reactive glasses  (Read 1142 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Surprising Elephant - mixed UV-reactive glasses
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
I picked up this elephant a few days ago. It looked like a simple yellow opalino elephant calf (developing tusks). Strange thing is that it had transparent ears and one transparent leg that are not opalino. I thought the leg was an oversight until I put the calf under black light. This one needs to be shown under black light for sure. I don't know who did the elephant, but my inclination is toward Aureliano Toso because of the look of the yellow. It is about 7" tall to the tip of the trunk. It has an old square "Made in Italy" paper label on its back. Any thoughts on this strange critter?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Surprising Elephant - mixed UV-reactive glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:13:48 AM »
Well the orange is cadmium I think.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »
I think you are right about the cadmium. It helped a lot when you mentioned it for the Scandinavian-like vase that glowed orange (a short thread in another group). The transparent glass of the elephant and the vase looks very similar. It made me wonder if the vase might be Murano. I've not been able to figure out where it came from.

I don't know what the yellow might be. It seems to be too yellow to be vaseline. The elephant glows orange in the joints of the limbs to the body, so I think the outer glass might all have cadmium. But I wonder why the orange in the opalescent parts is suppressed.

Some fairly simple concepts came together to give a comic look. I wonder what the makers could have been thinking when putting together pieces like this.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »
Cadmium is quite common in bright yellow glass (that's not uranium  ;D ). Presumably whatever causes the opalino effect results in the masking.  :huh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand