No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old english glass expert required please??  (Read 838 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Old english glass expert required please??
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »
Please excuse the copying of an earlier members listing but it sums up my listing too a tee :spls2: I purchased a small collection from a carboot recently of glass items which i believe too be early finger bowls, I purchased 6 bristol blue bowls like the item below and a footed amethyst one can somebody point me to an indication as to the age of the items and whether they are finger bowls as my father is convinced they are the wrong shape for finger bowls!! The bristol blue bowl is 31/4" tall 43/4" wide and the amethyst bowl is 4"tall and 5" wide and they are both very heavy for there size and have very strong colour.. Couldnt resist listing them as experts in early english glass have been on-board!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Old english glass expert required please??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
Hi ,
         The footed bowl looks very much like  a sugar bowl , they were produced in a variety of colours and many were also gilded with the motto ' Be canny with the sugar' , and given a north east origin , and a late 18th early 19th c  date, the others may well be finger bowls and again proabaly early 19th c  1820/30s.

not a bad find methinks  :hiclp:

Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:32:24 AM »
OHH that is super news thanks... its a shame the amethyst one isnt a finger bowl though...im more glad that they appear to be of good age it must be quite rare to find a set of six bowls together if they are finger bowls, We thought that they resembled the bottoms off decanters with the kicked in base very unusual ive only seen them with niceley polished pontils not snapped/sharp pontils before. The set of six blue bowls are all similar size's and colour quite lucky to remain together maybe...kind regards for your input. :thup:
With the market seemingly quite depressed i might hold onto them instead of cahing them in just yet...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:39 AM »
its a shame the amethyst one isnt a finger bowl though...

I would think you should be happy it's not a finger bowl ,it's far more commercial as a sugar bowl . ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand