No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue vase pressed glass ID please?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Blue vase pressed glass ID please?
« on: September 06, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »
A recently acquired vase which reminds me something you would put bulbs in to grow.  It is pressed glass I think as it has a seam either side.  Also bulbous feel to it like a garlic.  The base is shiny and inverted.  Can anyone tell me which country this was possibly made and whether it is recent.  Many thanks
Marg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Blue vase pressed glass ID please?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
It's not pressed; it's mould blown. Pressing requires an internal plunger, which means the top always has to be wider than the bottom, otherwise you can't get the plunger out. It don't think it's recent though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:02:59 PM »
I have read posts asking for pictures of the base so here is the base of this vase.  Thank you.

Margi

Offline Margi

• Members
Re: Blue mould blown glass ID please?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:21:22 PM »
I have changed the title now I know it is not pressed  ;D I will get the terms right honest.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 05:29:13 AM »
Hi all I have been searching more on this vase and have a couple of questions if I may.  Am I ok to call this a melon vase?  What is the expression for the nipped in waist reminds me of hour glass?  I saw the same colour and melon style vase but different to mine that was attributed to Empoli could this be too?  Thoughts please.
Btw I have looked again would it be possible this could have been pressed upside down its just that there is definately two seams one either side of the vase that runs from base to rim.

Margi

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:13:11 AM »
It's not pressed; it's mould blown. Pressing requires an internal plunger, which means the top always has to be wider than the bottom, otherwise you can't get the plunger out. It don't think it's recent though.

Hmm, that base doesn't look very old. Recent machine mould-blown?

I wouldn't call it a melon vase or melon-ribbed. You could describe it as a waisted vase. With great respect, it doesn't look to be anything particularly valuable or special at this point. Leap in, anyone, to correct me if that's wrong.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:55:40 AM »
Let me jump in at this point. These vases pop up very regularly on ebay.de. The
colours I´ve seen so far are green, amber and clear. Colours, that possibly
point towards the Empoli region in Italy?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
These are often mistaken for bulb vases and seem to turn up very frequently. Most credible attribution I've heard for these is Oberglas Austria, circa 1980s.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:19:38 PM »
Thank you for your responses I shall go away and explore again.  Cathy B thank you for your thoughts but I am not particularly bothered on value or specialness as I don't pay that much out for my items and in this case less than 3 squid I would much rather put a name to something than know its worth  ;)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
Cathy B thank you for your thoughts but I am not particularly bothered on value or specialness as I don't pay that much out for my items and in this case less than 3 squid I would much rather put a name to something than know its worth

Then you are one of thevery teeny percentage who aren't bothered by value.  We are all here to learn about our chosen subject (glass  :)) and to increase our knowledge and buy better pieces - pieces that are generally superior quality and therefore of higher value.  If you offered me a Chance 'Swirl' dish to learn about or a piece of Maurice Marinot's work to learn about, I know which I'd choose.     

;)

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand