No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Latticino Vase  (Read 1976 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Small Latticino Vase
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:59:47 AM »
Hi I just bought this piece and not sure what to think of it.I misread the size and bought something smaller than I expected. Should be more attentive to details.

It was claimed to be Venini but as I have limited information on this company/person I couldn't tell. The size is obvious from the side photo below.

Any ideas on this one. I am thinking of moving it on.

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Small Latticino Vase
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:14:59 AM »
My quick reaction is not Venini. Paolo Venini did some pieces in Zanfirico in the 50's, but they were a cleaner, more modern design than this.  (I'm not disparaging other styles, btw, as I like Salviati pieces in this style).The colours are also wrong. Plus no signature? Unusual for Venini.

How does the glass feel, is it relatively thin or thick glass, and what's the pontil like, smooth or rough?

I've not been too on the ball with Murano lately so other points of view would help us both. I do think it's Murano, I should add, although it could be from a quite a range of years.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »
To bad it doesn't have a label.  I have one that is a little bigger and yours has some of the same charateristics as mine.  Mine is a footed bowl just like yours and except for the color, (mine is blue and white with adventurine), it looks to be the same.  Mine is made by A.Ve.M.  Mine just so happened to come with a label.

I wouldn't move on with it not unless you don't like it.  It is a fine example!  I don't think yours is Venini either but it does look strikingly similar to mine other than the color and the size so it could very well be A.Ve.M.

I will try to post a pic of it tonight if I can figure it out. 

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
I forgot to add one more thing.  A.Ve.M. made a lot of miniture pieces.

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:25:33 PM »
I agree with Tami that it looks like an AVeM piece. AVeM makes a lot of pieces where the rim is folded, then fused like yours is. (I don't know the name of this procedure.) I am sure that other companies also made this type of rim, but whenever I see it, my first thought is AVeM.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 10:53:35 PM »
langhaugh - It is fairly thin with as mentioned by tam bam a rolled edge. The base pontil is broken off and not polished but that may be due to the thickness of the item. The latticino work appears to be well done but the 'pinch work' around the edges is irregular.

Tam Bam and Anita - thanks a lot I am looking forward to the photo's Tami. There are a couple of Salviati dishes in Leslie Pina's book that have rolled edges and I wondered if that was a possibility as well? I looked for all the AVeM latticino I could find on the web but saw nothing remotely close (same as always).

The AVeM dish I posted a few weeks ago is continuing to grow on me and I like it a lot now so who knows maybe this will grow on me. I will give it a couple of months and then make a decision based on how we feel about it then. We are having a table at a local antiques sale in November and this may end up there if it doesn't pick itself up!
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:26 AM »
Ardy:

I think Tam Bam and Anita are right about it being AVeM. Anita knows Salviati very well, and if it had been from there, she would have said so. Interestingly (for me, at least) I was wondering if it might be Salviati as their pontils are often unfinished. I don't connect Salviati with rolled edges, though.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 10:45:31 AM »
Hi again everyone.  I tried to post a pic last night of my footed bowl made by A.Ve.M.  The picture is way too big.  I will have to get some kind of software to reduce the pic size.

Anyway, I looked again at my bowl and it does have the rolled edges on the piece just like Ardy's.  I really think Ardy's piece is A.Ve.M.  Ugh, I wish I could post my photo so everyone could see how similar both pieces are. 

tam bam

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »
I can recommend IrfanView. It works well and the price is right (free download  :chky: )

Carolyn

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »
I totally agree with Carolyn. This product is great, I downloaded it about a week ago after I couldn't get photoshop to read my raw files. This product, for what it does, is better than PS.

I would love to see it Tami so if you do get to reduce your picture size then that would be great. There is an option if you 'save as' with Irfan and with it you can set the size of all the images to the same thread friendly size you want.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand