No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Smoked Glass Tankards ID = Dartington, FT5  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Mystery Smoked Glass Tankards ID = Dartington, FT5
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:07:15 PM »
My partner thought he was being nice by buying me some "Whitefriars" tankards he saw at an antiques market in my absence after the stallholder badgered and convinced him they were indeed Whitefriars, as labeled. But they're clearly not. They're not even very well made.  :evil:

Was wondering if anyone could ID them to stop him feeling quite so much of a dope? They're 5" tall and made of smoked glass. It's all because they have the inverted pontil by which all sellers too lazy to read up on such things judge glass marked thus as Whitefriars. (I had to read that back to see if it made sense - and it nearly does!).  :lol:

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Mystery Smoked Glass Tankards
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 09:00:17 PM »
They are nice looking glassess whatever they turn out to be Pinkspoons (think positive :lol: )  and your partner is really sweet buying them for you :P   So enjoy a drink together!  Cheers :P

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:54:07 PM »
:)  I know, he tries, bless him. I wouldn't want to drink out of them, though - one of the handle's relationship with the rest of the tankard is tentative at best by the feel of it (it makes a small gritty rubbing noise when you pick it up by the handle, so I'm guessing there's movement there).

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »
Plus Baileys (my tipple of choice) in a tankard is just plain uncouth!  :lol:

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 08:42:38 AM »
Baileys is my vice too....so I'd go for uncouth if I were you, nothing so much fun as an uncouth lady!!!

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 08:48:50 AM »
And P.S.  what a lovely thoughtful partner you have...cultivate him. My partner, who I perceived as taking no interest whatsoever and couldn't recognise a plastic beaker from a Whitefriars, discovered at a recent fair a perfect small W/F drunken bricklayer for an absolute song!!! WAS I SURPRISED!!! Had to fill it with Baileys to celeebrate the whole experience!
Emmi

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 08:52:19 AM »
Baileys in half-pint glasses... reminds me far too much of my university days.  :lol:

Needless to say, I'm as unlady-like as you can get.  :twisted:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 08:55:08 AM »
I think my partner is paying attention... as he spotted some real Whitefriars that he kept for himself. *tut* But I'm up to my eyeballs in ruby teardrop vases, so I let him off this time. Luckily for him.

vidfletch

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 12:28:39 AM »
I think your tankards are by Dartington. They maybe the FT5 pattern from 1967.

Check out the Dartington catalogues on www.whitefriarsorg.org/mf

I hope this helps.

Vidfletch :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 01:03:05 AM »
Gosh - so they are! Thank you very much.

I'm surprised, though, because they're really not very well made at all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand