No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Percival, Vickers & Co-what is this?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Amaya

• Members
Percival, Vickers & Co-what is this?
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:39:20 AM »
Hello,

The information I've found on this item based on the registration no. 75942 on the glass piece is that it was produced by Percival, Vickers & Co. on June 29th 1887.  It sits on an ornate silver plate stand by Walker and Hall.  Any ideas as to what it was used for and its value?   

Any and all information will be gratefully received.
Thank you

Amaya

PS

My husband says that it is a thistle design on the stand.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Percival, Vickers & Co-what is this?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:26:06 AM »
Amaya — I'm amazed!   I've been dealing in mounted British glass for about 15 years, and never even suspected this gem.

The actual registration was for a rectangular dish with a single fan at each end, and the recess at the base to lock it into a rectangular stand, and I've never seen that, either.   Thompson describes it as a marmalade.

As for value, we don't talk values here — it's too subjective.   Nevertheless, there are some keen Manchester collectors, and it would also appeal to Scottish souvenir collectors.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Amaya

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:55:44 AM »
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for your reply-we have two other mounted British glass items that I will be asking info. on soon.

Sooooo...... if we don't discuss values on this site any good hints as to the best place to have these items valued?  We're looking at auctioning them off on ebay as soon as we have some indication as to their worth.

Thanks again for your post.

Amaya

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »
As for value, we don't talk values here — it's too subjective.   Nevertheless, there are some keen Manchester collectors, and it would also appeal to Scottish souvenir collectors.

I can vouch for that! It took my interest for sure.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand