No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maybe scottish thistle wine glass????  (Read 746 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Maybe scottish thistle wine glass????
« on: October 19, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »
I wonder if anybody knows who/hen these type of glasses might have been made i have a few and have always wondered about them?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Maybe scottish thistle wine glass????
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:59:47 AM »
Doesn't look like Edinburgh Crystal 'Thistle' to me. Is it cut glass?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Maybe scottish thistle wine glass????
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:21:47 AM »
I think several companies have made 'thistle' glasses, and probably over quite a long period of time.  I have a couple of 'thistle decanters, one of which is an early version of the Edinburgh one, with the thistles engraved round the base (but sadly with a replacement stopper  :cry: ) and another with a longer neck and no engraving, which may or may not be Edinburgh.  I also have a small glass, no thistle engraving, but with a knopped stem.  I don't think this is Edinburgh, although it could be, as they did vary the design over time, and they did do plain as well as etched versions.

I like yours, with the cutting down the stem, and star-cut foot   :)  Sorry I can't say who made it or when.  You could try searching on 'Replacements'.     
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand