No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help on where this was made please and? on why it changes colour?  (Read 3964 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I would appreciate if anyone could help on where this was made please (and or who by if that is possible?) as I am truly stuck having found nothing similar.  Also, I bought this because when I saw it, it was lime green - fabulous I thought.  Arrived home distracted by children and shopping and opened it later with great anticipation....only to find a great lump (it weighs 1kg - quite a lot for a small ish ashtray?) of pale pink glass :o - very disappointed.
It didn't go where I wanted it to go, so I stuck it in the hall, by chance next to a lamp, which made it glow bright green again ;D - so that is where it has stayed .
I have searched many of the messages and discovered uranium and manganese posts and neodymium (sp?), but I am confused as to why this is pink and glows such a bright green.  Unfortunately it won't glow green when I take the photo.  I would be grateful for any help.
Many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: help on where this was made please and? on why it changes colour?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
I think we really need a photo against a plain white background without a flash and under an incandescent light and a fluorescent light. All we can see is kind of brown. Stand your camera on something so it doesn't wobble during the long exposure

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
I would imagine it might go green when light is reflected off the surface, while it is pink when light comes through it.

Some pieces of early "Pink and blue Swirls" Isle of Wight Studio Glass do this, but some don't.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:31:38 AM »
Hi and thank you for your replies.
Christine I have tried to rephotograph but I cannot do one showing what it looks like under the long life lightbulb ::) however two attached.  Once it is even near the long life lamp it glows bright lime green, totally, no hint of a pink at all.  

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 08:03:07 AM »
Hi m,
It would seem that you have a piece of Neodymium glass. I recently sold a Sklo Alexandrit vase that had the same characteristics. Pink under daylight and normal room lighting but blue under fluorescent light and the new low power light bulbs.
Google Neodymium glass and you'll see lots of examples and no doubt a better description than I can give.
Hope this helps.
Bryn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »
I don't think it's neodymium, that's lilac/purple to blue/light green, as the colour is wrong. There are other colour changing glasses though. I think Zelezny Brod Sklo (ZBS) made a quite a few; this bowl could be ZBS

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
Ah! would that be Alexandrite glass Christine? Alexandrite Glass was first commercially produced from purified Neodymium in 1927 in the laboritory of Leo Moser where the name originated.

Bryn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »
No Alexandrite is just a particular commercial name for glass containing neodymium compounds. Neodymium is what's called a rare earth metal. There are other rare earth metals whose compounds give different colour changing effects. I don't have time to look right now, I'm supposed to be working (waiting for something to print).

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »
No need to yell Christine!!.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Sorry  :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand