No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Controlled bubble ashtray/dish unknown manufacturer??  (Read 904 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Controlled bubble ashtray/dish unknown manufacturer??
« on: November 03, 2009, 05:37:13 PM »
Purchased a decorative bowl today thought it maybe wf or murano can anybody say which or neither. Its approx 5" diameter 1.5" tall and has a large polished base 3.25" diameter. A nice amber colour kind of disapears towards the rim. Thanks for taking a look.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Controlled bubble ashtray/dish unknown manufacturer??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:06 AM »
Great bowl bradbury...good size as well...i would say murano...hard to tell without a label...even a labeled piece can be difficult to identify...i have a few that have labels but still no idea as to who might have made it...could be any company...lovely amber too... the colour leads me to believe it could be murano also...

I think it would of had a Genuine Venetian Glass, Made in Murano, Italy scalloped label...used by many companies...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »
Thankyou for the reply i thought wf then murano because of the pulled rim kind of like a tricorn type piece from above, Murano certainly have got there act together with doing controlled bubble decoration its done very nicely do you think its 60s in date there is a fair amountof wear and tear to the base! Thanks again dan. :hiclp:

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »
I would agree re Murano.  I have never seen a bowl such as this, with a sticker, that wasn't a Murano sticker.

Of course, there are an overwhelming number of people who would suggest that it could also be Chinese, but the base wear would suggest your assumptions to be correct, IMHO.

Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
Cheers stu thanks for that, Also thanks very much for taking the time too reply about the big lava lamp id found, I went back to where id purchased it from and there it was the original shade with the right fitting a perfect working lamp now. Dont think i will trust my ebay wrapping skills for it though. THANKS DAN :hiclp:

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »
Oh that was you!  Now it all comes together.  Fantastic news - a sound investment.

I love these fish too - the dorsal fin is the best part for me, as the skill is remarkable - from some angles mine also looked like the fish had a Teddy-Boy hairstyle!

Good luck with future finds!

Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:06:50 AM »
One of the earliest dates I have seen for one of these larger bullicante bowls is approx 1954 (i spot glass in old movies)...sad i know...LOL...but to hazzard as to a guess to age...i would estimate it to be one of the earlier ones...from the colour...the colours became more bolder towards the 60's...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand