No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: neodymium bowl - Is this Czech, help needed to identify please?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: neodymium bowl - Is this Czech, help needed to identify please?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »
Hi Michael, thanks for looking :)
no, I'm no longer sure it's neodymium.  But it does change colour under different lighting, not dramatically like other neodymium pieces I've had where they literally change to a completely different colour. But it definitely does go from purple to a steel grey colour.  I have another piece like this, an Erik Hoglund purple vase that goes dark blue gray under different lighting.  So I suspect they have something in them that transmits light differently dependent on source, even if not neodymium (i.e lilac to green/lilac to blue etc)

No not two colours in it and no pic in daylight I don't think.  I'll have another search through my files to check and post one in the morning if I don't find one.
I will have to get another pic tomorrow but no I don't think it's the same pretty lavender as those links.  I think it's more a purple than those.

Thanks for the links.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
I've got the bowl down and had another look.  It's strange.  I first saw it under fluorescent lighting and it looked amethyst and it is but under standard lighting it goes dark grey and appears to lose all it's amethyst.  But it still doesn't change colour like other neodymium I've had where a lavender Empoli  vase turned turquoise blue.
One other thing.  The shape of it, the foot and the way it flares out into the bowl always reminded me of Frantisek Zemek Rhapsody bowls for some reason.  So out of curiosity I've just done a search on Frantisek Zemek and found this vase  from Hermanova Hut https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/159321837/sklo-union-frantisek-zemek-hermanova?ref=market
The amethyst is the same colour as this vase, rather than the blue y lavender if that helps :)

the second set of photos I posted are a good likeness to the grey it becomes
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=29994.0;attach=36297;image

My camera is currently refusing to read the amethyst colour unfortunately even though it looks amethyst when I look at it.  Sorry.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
ok,hopefully these will help a bit.
When I first saw the bowl, I think (but it's a long time ago), that it was displayed under fluorescent/longlife light bulb) so it showed as amethyst.
When I got it home under my tungsten lighting it displays as grey as per previous photos.
However, I've just now taken some pictures under LED lighting and they have actually shown it as amethyst which is the colour it looks under LED as well.
So this is as far as I can get, a pretty good representation of the amethyst colour it looks under long life and fluorescent lighting (pics now attached).
It doesn't have two colours in it although one shot I've attached in the second set of photos below shows one of the pulls as navy blue.  The last shows it again taken tonight, under tungsten lighting and it's grey.
I hope these help :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »
see post above with pics showing the amethyst under LED.
The last one of this set shows it as grey under tungsten lighting.
Obviously if I put it out on display I will have to make sure it is under LED to show the amethyst :)
I only bought the LED lights about a year ago, long after I bought the bowl.  So I've never had the bowl out because everywhere I put it, it looked grey under my tungsten lighting.  Now I know I can make it look as it should.  Very happy  ;D
m

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:40:17 AM »
I think it is Skrdlovice and not neodymium exactly. I have had at least one piece from the factory with difficult to define altering colour properties involving dramatic amethyst-smoke variation in different lighting. Your bowl looks quite a lot like a Rudolf Beranek ashtray design, maybe Rocco will find an exact match in the books.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 12:55:56 AM »
Thank you Robert - is it this one you might be thinking of?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40346.msg239254.html#msg239254
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 08:04:04 AM »
I am with Robert in thinking it has to be Skrdlovice.
PN 5464, Emanuel Beranek ashtray, 17 cm diameter would fit quite well.

Regarding the colour(s), I would really like to see a daylight pic ;D

I am reposting two of your previous images, which made me think it was probably greyish blue cased in amethyst (I think I see two slightly differently coloured layers in the foot; these most probably could not be seen in the upper part where the colours blend).
But may just be due to the artificial light...

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
ok here goes :)
Daylight pics showing TWO colours on the bowl :)   the foot is cased in lilac and the bowl is lavender ... I think   :-\
I think it looks like the Rudolf Beranek ashtray in two colour that I linked to above. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=40346.0;attach=82653;image
 But because mine is one colour it's difficult to see the trails from the pulls, but the glass thicken as the trails curve down the side of the bowl.  So if it were two colour like the one I linked to, I think they would be much more visible if you see what I mean.  I know that the one I've linked to has 'thicker' pulls on it so from the top they stick out whereas mine dont because they aren't as pronounced. 
You can see it in the pic taken from the top.  So it mine Rudolf Beranek 5464?  Michael you mentioned Emanuel Beranek5464 whereas Anik said Rudolf Beranek 5464?  was that just a mistake in the name please?
btw it still looks all amethyst in daylight to the naked eye, but the camera wants to show it looking navy blue with the lilac at the foot  ???
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
Ah, nice that my eye sight is still ok ;D
There are definately two (very similar) colours involved...
My digicam has the same problem when it comes to purple hues -- they always turn out much bluer than they are in reality.

Sorry, I didn't read the name properly, Anik is surely right, Rudolf Beranek, PN 5464.

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
ah excellent !  finally a definite id.  And I'm glad I recognised similarities with the R Beranek piece Jindrich showed in the exhibition pics so many years ago :) 
Thank you Michael, Robert and Jindrich for helping.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand