No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Botle with three labels  (Read 768 times)

Offline ckscot

• Members
Mdina Botle with three labels
« on: November 06, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »
I have just bought this Mdina bottle that has its original paper Maltese cross label but also two more –another paper one with “Made in Malta M/211” and a plastic one on the base that says “Artisans Centre Valletta Malta”.  I am wondering if this is the ‘small outlet’ Mark Hill refers to in his book on Michael Harris that the Boffos used to sell privately to. And if this might be one of theirs?  The stopper fits very loosely so I am also wondering if it was meant to have a practical use?  And is it likely it have any rarity value, or is that wishful thinking on my part?
It measures about 6” high and 2.75” in diameter with a flat base.
Any input, as always, much appreciated.
Iain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina Botle with three labels
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »
A lot of stoppers just fit loosely like this. Nice thing, but I do think this is just a generic piece of it's time, probably sold at the artisan's centre because of the extra label, but not neccessarily likely to be by a Boffo. It was jugs and small animally things they made in their own time and sold.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Those funny stoppers seem to have been a case of one size fits all. I saw one just like that ages ago that had lost it's bottle (  :24: ) and it was ages before I worked out what it was. Just an ornament I suspect.

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »
Thanks for your replies (I've been a bit slow due to erratic internet connection).  Yes, it's a nice piece anyway.  I'm a bit surprised that any stoppers exist without their bottles since they seem eminently breakable with their long necks......
Iain

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »
Lonely stoppers do appear on ebay.
Given bottles look better with them than without, and they're mostly interchangable because they don't fit, it's perfectly possible to marry them successfully, or swap them between bottles for a more pleasing outcome.

Again, because they don't fit perfectly, it could be fairly random whether a bottle did or did not get a stopper originally.

I personally don't have any "purist" sorts of problems with this.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand