No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red and clear glass textured vase - ID = Whitefriars 'finger vase' # 9279  (Read 4944 times)

Tramonto.

Hi....I couldn't resist this slim bark(ish) effect vase.  

http://tinypic.com/fa8yeu.jpg

It does look a bit distorted in the pic...it is actually slightly wider at the bottom than at the top.  I was looking through books and the nearest I could find to it was a Baxter vase.  Would anyone have any idea as to its age at least please?  Thanks!

Mod: The image is gone, but you can see similar by searching on 'finger vase' at www.whitefriars.com.

Offline Pat

• Members
Red and clear glass textured vase - ID please?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:24:21 PM »
Looks like a Baxter Whitefriars finger vase to me. Age between 1970 and 1980.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 11:30:01 PM »
If it is Whitefriars, then the Ruby colour dates it to post-1974. It's hard to tell from the photograph, though.  :(

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 04:56:47 AM »
I'd agree that it looks like a WF finger vase. Post on www.whitefriars.com for absolute confirmation if you don't trust me :). Ground rim is right for the finger vase, pattern # 9279.

Pinkspoons, do you mean that finger vases weren't made in ruby till '74? Ruby was listed in a 1949 catalogue: http://www.whitefriars.com/colours.php. I've got quite a few ruby WF from the 40s/50s.

Cathy

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 09:51:31 AM »
Oh, I didn't realise this design (#9729) came out before 1969, and it doesn't appear in ruby til '74... at least in the catalogues I have. (admittedly I don't have the 1949 one).

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 09:39:55 PM »
Thanks Pinky - that answers what I was asking!

Cathy B.

Tramonto.

ruby wF?
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 09:50:51 PM »
Cathy, Pat, Nic..many thanks for your responses.  I wasn't really expecting it to actually be Whitefriars.  

It isn't quite as tall as the others on the site though (thanks for the link). It is 5 and three-quarter inches - I hope that doesn't rule it out.

In any case, not bad for a quid.

Thanks

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 09:53:29 PM »
Nope - 5 3/4" is indeed the correct height.

Congrats on the excellent buy!  :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 10:03:37 PM »
Oh, actually...

I'm confused... (easily done)

In the 1972 catalogue pattern #9729 is 5 3/4" tall...

But by 1974, when it becomes available in ruby, it's grown an inch to 6 3/4"... and seems to have changed in shape (more flared at the bottom)!

Tramonto.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 10:23:41 PM »
:shock: Ohh, double confused (very easily done).  Could I have a throwback?  At widest it is 1 3/4" across the bottom - if that makes any difference?  I'm intrigued.   Thanks for the info!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand