No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: guess this must relate to ppwts.??  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
guess this must relate to ppwts.??
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:06:56 PM »
think its just coincidence that I'm back here - certainly not intentional :)   This was from lunchtime today, and not even sure that it is related to ppwts. -  just the obvious similarities with canes etc.   Not high quality - and no marks that I can see, and not sure what use it might have had originally - pin tray perhaps??  -  bit like a small ash tray, but withough the fag shaped indents around the side.    The inside is domed, and I think that underneath this (especially out towards the edges, it appears hollow inside.   Rather a crude ground out pontil area.    About 8 cms. wide and about 3.75 cms. high.   the greenish 'flecked' colour of the dome reminds me of a colour used on some of the Mdina glass?   There is a reasonable 'wear ring' on the base - 20 - 30 years maybe.  Wud welcome any thoughts from the experts please, and thanks for looking.   Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: guess this must relate to ppwts.??
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
Actually it's pretty nice! It looks Scottish to me, perhaps Ysart or Vasart but there are others on here who probably would give you a more definite ID.

That 'dome' is a fracture probably due to poor annealing. Glass paperweights have the odd property of staying together even with a crack the goes all the way through like that.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:51:30 AM »
Some Vasart including this (D11) ...

http://www.ysartglass.com/Vascat/VasD001.htm

Not sure if Strathearn carried on with them, they made some even wackier ones http://www.ysartglass.com/Strathearn/StrST001.htm

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:52:15 AM »
These "pin" or "nut" trays / dishes are fairly common items and are often referred to by paperweight collectors as "related items" (along with anything else that uses "paperweight techniques" but is not a true paperweight).

Paul's example includes canes that are defintely from the early Vasart (pre-56) years but the item could have been made in the later Vasart period or perhaps in the continuation years under the Strahearn name. Current Scottish makers, for example John Deacons, have also made similar items although more usually in a flatter form.

They are made as a basic paperweight, flattened out to some degree, with added glass which is shaped to form the tray / dish rim. The rims vary in height (or depth to the inner base - if you think of it that way) and some examples have upright rims while in others they slope inwards. The same design would become an ashtray if had shallow rests cut into the rim - but all of the few ashtrays I have seen have been larger than the "pin" or "nut" trays (except for the really flat and large dishes / trays!)

The fracture that glasstrufflehunter commented on is not a fracture. The paperweight core is indeed domed to whatever extent the flattening process gave it, and the visible "crack line" seen in the profile view is just the point where the inner dome meets the side wall and is apparant in all of the ones I have seen. The base grinding is quite typical for Vasart work of both the earlier and later years.

UV checks have shown that some items of this type were made pre-1956 (I have an ahstray from the earlier period). Because the UV reaction of later Vasart and Strathearn items is identical, it is not possible to be sure about when some were made. However, as shown in Frank's links, larger dishes with very low profiles were also made, and I suspect that the majority of those were from the Strathearn years rather than the Vasart ones - but I can't prove that.
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
my thanks to all of you  -  and especially to KevH, for the detailed reply.   Acutally, it looks a little better in my pics. than in the flesh  -  I suspect that certain lighting can enhance the colours.   I'm pleased to confirm that the 'line' around the outside is definitely not a fracture, and is that point at which the dome meets the wall (with the hollow showing below).   I'm really rather pleased with this attribution, and will test the piece for UV reaction.   Again, thanks for the help.    Paul S.   

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 07:31:15 PM »
Ah, but the UV reaction will not show a difference under longwave UV - it will be green. It needs shortwave UV to separate the early and late Vasart periods - early is a sort dusty grey and later is blue. And blue is also the reaction under shortwave UV for the Stratheran years.
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »
so you mean that my standard smart water uv torch - which I use for Uranium glass - will not be of help.   At least I think that is what you are saying Kev.   Oh well, back to the drawing board.  :'(   Paul S.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »
I am reasonably certain that the amorphic dishes were an Angus Sillars design, but still lack confirmation. Not yet heard of a Strathearn labelled example of the small ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand