No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help in id of drinking glass  (Read 548 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Help in id of drinking glass
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »
Hello all would anyone be able to tell me the manufacturer and age of this glass please.  I have looked through my books and scoured over lots of knops and all sorts of names but nothing like this in them.  The base does have a pontil mark quite a large one mishapen.  Lots of little air bubbles and lots of wear on base.
With thanks as always.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Help in id of drinking glass
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
I doubt you'll find out who made this French barware - there are just too many options. Is it Oullins, is it Arques, is it Meisenthal, is it someone else? Nice glass to use, well made but not to be identified. Anytime between 1860 and 1920, I'd say.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »
Thank you Ivo - is there a general rule of thumb when purchasing glasses as in how to differentiate between older and newer.  Aart from the obvious that is unless someone has used sandpaper.  Did I read somewhere if it has a large base so that it can stack on another identical is one way or did I dream that. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
that works for 18th ct. glasses only. I'm sure you can tell old glass from new by the grey colour, by the tool marks, the weight, the thickness, the production sequence and the function....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand