No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed glass dishes/bowls - help please  (Read 737 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
pressed glass dishes/bowls - help please
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Does anyone one recognise the patterns on these/the makers  of these dishes please?

I have been through Pamela's site and I don't think they are there.  I have had them a long time perhaps 15 years, but I have no idea where they are from and I haven't managed to find them in my searches.  I assumed they were English but..... really no idea.

Many thanks for any direction on where to look or answers ;D
M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: pressed glass dishes/bowls - help please
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
round pressed: BAGLEY ??
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/carnival/03087.html

oval: possibly EAPG ?

just ideas  :-\
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »
Round one looks like Sowerby 2266

See here on Glen Thistlewood's site for some iridised examples of the pattern: http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Chunky.html

Steven

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:17:24 PM »
thank you so much for your replies.  I am confused (not difficult ;D) slightly.
The Bagley dish Pamela has linked to looks identical to mine and  I also looked at a dish noted as Sowerby 2266 in Carnival glass on another site and that too looks as though it might be identical. 
However, what I think I may have noticed is that the star in the centre of the Bagley one on Pamela's site looks different to the centre of the Sowerby one?  Is it? the Sowerby carnival one I looked at seems to be more flower shaped/petal shaped, rather than star shaped, kind of elongated points it seemed.  My dish has the identical shape in the centre to the one on Pamela's site.
Other than that, mine has a fluted edge in that it goes in and out as the Sowerby one did - does the Bagley also go in and out please?
Thanks for helping.  I appreciate it.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »
Sorry Steven, I meant to say I did look on Glen's link but then I also found another picture elsewhere of the 2266 taken into the centre of the bowl from the top and the star/petal shaped showed as I described.  Which is where it seemed to show a different centre.  Other than that I can't see the difference between that and the one on Pamela's site listed as Bagley. 
What do you think?  do they look the same?
thank you again for looking.
m

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:27:53 PM »
No, not listed as Bagley, that was just a guess  :-X I only thought it is British...

Of course, Glen and Steven are right, Sowerby! I should finally put it down !

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:45:50 PM »
No, my fault entirely Pamela.  I misread what you wrote and didn't look at the link properly for what was written underneath the picture :-[ 

Many thanks to both for your help. I really appreciate it.   :clap:
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:43:49 AM »
Post the oval one a new thread along with a picture of the base please. Mixing IDs making filing hard and this one is not Sowerby. EAPG looks a good thought (or not).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand