No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: are these Sommerso ash trays.  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
are these Sommerso ash trays.
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:42:43 PM »
my glass dictionary defines Sommerso as an Italian decorative style, similar to cased glass, and developed by Venini sometime in the 1930's.    The thicker outer layer being usually colourless or at least of a different colour to the inner ornamented and thinner one.    not of course that the pieces shown are remotely that old.
The blue piece is obviously an ashtray, with the fag indents, and showns some wear, and is two coloured only.  This is one of a pair, quite a stiking blue - the other is more steel blue.  Neither has any marks, but have quality.    The other piece (3 coloured) is more of what I think of as Sommerso - even down to the more Sommerso colours of 'steel', 'amber' and clear.   But I suddely twigged this evening that of course this one is not an ashtray  -  not a fag indent in sight  -  or is it still classed as an ashtray?  Quite a high quality piece, and if pushed I wud suggest from the 60's or early 70's.    Most of the arrises (?) are bevelled.  Is the blue piece Sommerso, and what dates do the readers of this magazine attribute to the pieces.   grateful for anyones thoughts, and thanks for looking.    Know I shudn't put two items on one post, but the subject matter seemed sufficiently similar  -  but if the mod. shouts I will separate.   Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: are these Sommerso ash trays.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:05:16 PM »
Mandruzzato maybe?Keith

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 01:50:29 AM »
Yes, hey are both Sommerso. One is simply two layers and the other is three. There is no maximum to the number of layers for a Sommerso piece. They are geometric cut, or faceted Sommerso. Madruzzato is a possibility, as they have done a lot of that style glass and continue to do so. They are pretty pieces which may never be attributed to a specific house..

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:11:43 AM »
Sommerso means submerged, so anything that appears submerged in glass is considered sommerso. The layered vessels are some of the most popular, so people often think only of layered glass when they hear sommerso. I doubt that Venini invented sommerso glass -- I imagine things were submerged in glass long before Venini. They may have made the first layered vessels. I don't know, because my knowledge of the history of these vessels is nil.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »
thanks to all of yu for the interesting replies, and I agree they are very attractive - pity they are associated with such a foul habit.   I wud say Anita you do know a lot more than 'nil'  -  your replies are always interesting and worth reading.    Also interesting to hear that it is possible to have multiple layers in Sommerso.  thanks   Paul S.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
Hello can I go out on a limb here but just spotted this on ebay.de 200397237966 Flavio Poli - obviously different but just maybe?

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »
Hello,

Unfortunately Flavio Poli is to Italian Sommerso glass, as Michael Powolny is to Czech Tango glass.....  98% or more of the attributions are wishful thinking based on internet myths, and not on solid research done to correctly identify the product. 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:23:17 PM »
I am fairly certain that the second bowl shown is Mandruzzato. I do not know about the first bowl. I can say probably not Poli. The Seguso VA vases he designed have very clear lines. I believe that his glassmasters perfected the layering technique and created almost flawless pieces. I believe that Archimede Seguso executed many of the Poli designs when Archimede was with Seguso VA. I don't know who else may have made the designs.

One thing that was tricky about a probably Chinese vase that was posted here a while back. It had ribbons in the glass that, at a distance, gave the appearance of sharp lines between layers. I guess it is always good to ask for closeup pictures when contemplating buying one of these vases.

I like the Mandruzzato pieces. They are very well done and made to be affordable.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:06:14 PM »
Margi - thanks for your sleuthing, although I think that we must acknowledge we are a little out of our depth with this one, although must admit that the ebay piece you highlighted was very attractive.     Keith and Anita have both indicated Mandruzzato for the second and more interesting piece - certainly the colours make it look more attractive.   I'm out of my depth with this sort of material, and tend to stick more to European pressed glass between c. 1850 - 1950, which for a variety of reasons is easier to identify.    Problem with glass is that so much of it is attractive, and I am unable to limit myself to just one area.   I see Bohemian, Wfrs., Czechoslvakian, Italian, and end up dabbling in all of it.   My thanks to Anita, Craig and Keith for their expertise.   I will probaly send the pair of more modern blue/clear ashtrays back to the charity shop, but will keep the Mandruzzato, despite the slightly large flea bites :)  I was however, puzzled that this latter item was without the fag indents?   cheers   Paul S.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »
Dabbling in all of it sounds familiar,how I got from sci-fi books to glass is anybodies guess????

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand