No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 candle stick holders cascade sticker.. Holmegaard ?? info please  (Read 1534 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all
picked these 2 candle stick holders up this morning for a few pence they are filthy dirty and covered in wax as i havent had a chance to clean them up yet.
On has a vintage Cascade england sticker on. they colours are very Holmegaard, one is a willow colour the other is a deepburnt orange red colour
They are  4.5cms top/5cms bottom in diameter and 4cms tall
can anybody give me any more info
many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: 2 candle stick holders cascade sticker.. Holmegaard ?? info please
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
Not a Holmegaard design, and the colours don't look to tie in with Holmegaard very much to my eyes.

I've noticed on eBay that a lot of Cascade glass is now being attributed to Holmegaard design, so I should probably reiterate that the only verified Holmegaard shape to be produced by Cascade is the Otto Brauer gulvvase.

That said, they're quite nice candlesticks.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »
thanks pinkspoons i was hoping you may pick this one up, i dont really know anything about cascade infact the only link i have is the gulvvase, and im just strating out on my Holmegaard discovery really, just got smoke and ice and am hoping to pick up fire and sea for xmas.
will have to do some research into cascade and see if i can dig anything up
thanks again

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »
No one really knows an awful lot about Cascade - if you search for it on here you may find some pointers, but nothing at all definite.

The Leslie Piña books aren't terribly good for Holmegaard - they are, for the most part, quite vague on the subject, and there are a few big errors in there too.

Although it has its fair share of much smaller errors, the best book in English to cover Holmegaard is McConnell.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 05:14:49 PM »
Will have to cross reference in future when it comes to the Pina books then, gorgeous book though.
Is that the very expensive one, which is quite hard to get hold of? what is the title on that one (or am i being stupid and it is McConnell)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
Sorry, I meant Andy McConnell's '20th Century Glass'.

It had an RRP of £30 when published in 2006, but it's been out of print since. I've just had a look on Amazon, where it's a shocking £65.  :o I'm sure you'd be able to pick it up at an antique fair, though, for around the £15-20 mark from a collectables book dealer - there's usually a chap with lots of brand new books at great prices whenever I go to Sunbury Antiques Market (Kempton Park), Swinderby and Newark.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 05:41:43 PM »
ahhh yep i got that back in late 2006 (i spent around 2 hours crying on the floor as every other page was something i had had and sold at a ridiculously low price, the first proper glass book we bought at the time £30 was a massive purchase for us for a book), i must say its quite tatty now as its generally one of the first general books i pick up when searching for something, great book which i wouldnt be without now. anybody know if a new one is planned??

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
resurrecting this as there are two blue candleholders on ebay at the moment.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Blue-Vintage-Glass-Vases-By-Cascade/392120563308?hash=item5b4c34f66c:g:wA4AAOSww3tY3UjK
Different design, but both have Cascade label.

They make me wonder whether the vases that appear occasionally which seem to be in a similar hooped design, and are often entitled 'Scandinavian? but cannot find maker' type thing,  might have been produced by Cascade?

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand