No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a date please for Davidson pedestal.  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
a date please for Davidson pedestal.
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
I have no doubts that this is a Davidson 269 pattern bowl  -  I've counted the points on the prunts  -  they are at the right angle etc. and there are two bands of the toothed indents - one above and one below the prunts.       Most of the 269 pieces that I see - that have a pedestal - sit on the usual conical metal support.  This is obviously different  -  much more attractive I think  -  and makes me think it may be more accurately dateable than other styles.    Does anyone have an idea of which decade is more likely please, and thanks for looking.   Paul S.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: a date please for Davidson pedestal.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
What is the base rim of the bowl like, ground or straight out of the mould? 1950s or 1960s seems likely from the base

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:21:07 PM »
thanks  -  the outer rim of the base has in fact been ground smooth.    I suppose I had hoped you might have said it was a little earlier.   As mentioned, I see the conical pedestals not infrequently  -  but this style is a first for me.     Apologies, what I shud have added also, is that on the upper side of the metal, near the rim, is says "Made in England"  -  and on the underside (which has been plated) - it is stamped "Reg. 27633".      Paul S.

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:32:01 AM »
A bagley vase with same base sold on Ebay recently - 110455163093

Hil  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:54 AM »
The ground base does put it earlier rather than later but I would still say just post war to 1950s because of the Made in England. The registered number is a clue to how old at the most but that needs looking up and I don't have time.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:36:26 PM »
That Reg no is very early, 1885 (Thompson: Identification of English Pressed Glass), but that's the registration date not the manufacturing date. Patterns were made for many years after they were registered. Davidson's 269 pattern (i.e. the glass part) dates from Nov 1908 but again was made until the early 1970s (Stewart & Stewart: Davidson Glass, a history.) As to when they were put together in that combination, that's anyone's guess!  ;D

Edited to add: Paul, the metalware was often added to pre-drilled glass by the retailer/wholesaler, rather than the glassmaker - hence the wide range of styles of stands and handles seen.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »
What is the stand plated in?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »
Hil - sorry, can't now find this item on ebay, however, sincere thanks for your help and suggestions.
Anne  and Christine  -  is the hole leterally drilled?  - or is the hole produced during the pressing??     Thanks - I am aware of the date guides during which pattern 269 was produced  -  but are we sure that this no. on the pressed metal base is a 'glass' no. - or is it a no. referring to metalwork??   The plating is of a matt 'brassy' looking colour, not the 'chrome' colour of the top of the pedestal.    thanks for your time and effort  -  and as commented, I had not previously seen this type of base, so had assumed it was far less common.   Think I will go with your date line, Christine, of just post second war.   Paul S.     

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »
The number on the base, if a registration number, will refer to just that: the design of the stand, Paul. It's not a glass or a metal number as such, as we've seen examples of reg nos referring to metal items which have also been made in glass, etc.... Kev H has a nice example on his website - it's referred to somewhere on the board too.

Also somewhere on the board is a post (I think it was by by Adam Dodds) explaining about how the holes were made in these pieces. Hope this helps.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »
The holes were drilled, that's why you get little chips round the edges. If you are saying the stand is chrome plating on yellow metal, I would definitely go with post war to 1950s

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand