No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: OLD Carnival glass shakers  (Read 917 times)

Offline antiques-in-nj

• Members
OLD Carnival glass shakers
« on: November 26, 2009, 04:35:16 PM »
Any carnival glass people out there?

Old carnival glass shakers are very rare! Here are a couple.

Scott

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiques-in-nj

• Members
Re: OLD Carnival glass shakers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:22:08 AM »
Here is an article on this little known subject.

When I first heard of old carnival glass salt shakers, it was about 25 years ago when I first started collecting carnival glass. They were so hard to come by and I never had any in my collection. Back in 1994 I bought my first Victorian Art Glass salt shaker and 15 years later I’m still collecting.
My first exposure to carnival glass salt shakers was in the “Corn” pattern. The first version is an iridized version of the Maize condiment set. The second is what carnival glass collectors call the “Corn Bottle”. I believe however, that the corn bottle shaker may not really be a salt shaker but a bottle that had a small cork for the top. I suspect that will be a point of discussion forever. There are examples with 2 piece tops attached that fit rather well but I do not believe they are original.
Carnival glass salt shakers are hard to find due to the fact, in my opinion, that fancy art glass shakers fell out of favor about the time carnival glass became popular. This also applies to Toothpick Holders. There are a few patterns known in carnival glass and are difficult to come by. The patterns that I’m aware of are “Soda Gold” probably the easiest to come by, some other patterns are “Shell and Seaweed” and Challinor shakers in various patterns. The patterns are, “Beaded Oval Mirror”, “Seashell”, “Horseshoe & Astor”, “Crossroads Double”, and “Square S”.
There Shell and Seaweed pattern is a mystery to me and I don’t know of too many examples. The only colors I’ve seen are Marigold on Moonstone and Purple.
The Challinor pieces are very rare and only a handful is known that I’m aware of.
In addition, Challinor shakers generally come in opaque and slag colors. Clear colors are very rare and seldom seen. The carnival glass Challinor shakers are all clear colors!
Some other interesting patterns are the Molded Prescut type patterns in “Octagon” and Aztec. Another interesting shaker is the “Xray” pattern and an enameled footed shaker in marigold as well as the Colonial pattern. I suspect others may surface too.
These shakers come in many known carnival glass colors. There are examples of Marigold, Purple, Green, and Blue.
With the exception of Marigold, which has a base glass of clear, all other colors are referred to by the base glass color it possesses. The color of the iridescence will vary.

I’m sure there are others and some other unknowns may show up in the future.
The interesting thing about carnival glass salt shakers is that some of these shakers seem to show up in patterns by manufacturers that we thought never made carnival glass. That really makes you think where did these shakers come from and when were they really made? Were they made prior to the real production of carnival glass as we know it? (1907 to around 1915 or so) Or were these patterns made again by another manufacturer during the carnival glass period who may have acquired the molds through glass company consolidation or even some of these pieces were iridized later on in their lives.

Many people are of the school that if a piece of carnival glass is iridized on the bottom it’s not old. I’m not convinced totally convinced of that, because known old carnival glass shakers in the “Soda Gold” pattern do have iridescence on the bottom of them. I believe that carnival glass pieces are not generally iridized on their bottoms because they possessed a “collar” base. This base was designed to accept a “Snap” a device that held the piece during production and when the piece was iridized, the snap prevented the iridescence from covering that area. Shakers however, where mostly mold blown and were held from the top during production therefore, the piece can be totally sprayed with the solution that produced its iridescence.
There seems to be one exception to this rule with shakers. The Shell & Seaweed shakers do have a collar base, very small however, but its there and the Marigold on Moonstone is not iridized on the bottom but the Purple one is. So, how does that figure into the theories.
     Its just food for thought and I’m sure many of you have different opinions. But whatever your thoughts are, it’s an interesting subject.
 Not to add further confusion to this subject, I recently purchased a mustard jar in a smoke iridescence. I’ve showed it to many people for their thoughts and I’ve received feedback from everything from wow, I’ve never seen anything like that before, that it was exposed to some kind of chemical, sat in water for a long time, to it was in a fire. Again, who knows and the mystery goes on. No matter what this mustard is, it is highly unusual to say the least!

One noted carnival glass researcher and author had this to say about the Challinor shakers.

“Challinor Taylor was one of the member factories of the U.S.Glass Co. combine. By 1900, Challinor Taylor was no longer operating. Their moulds were transferred to other U.S.Glass member factories still in operation. The first Carnival Glass was not introduced to the market until 1907 (by Fenton). The U.S. Glass Co. also made iridescent ware & most of theirs was produced in the 1910-1920 period, at their Glassport, PA plant and at the Tiffin plant. Any Carnival Glass examples of Challinor Taylor patterns & pieces were made there & not by Challinor Taylor themselves.”

Another interesting comment that was told to me was by a well known shaker collector and art glass dealer pertaining to a couple shakers he had found.

“The first carnival shakers we bought were from Fay Crider. They were the Aztec Marigold. It was a long time ago and we had no idea if they were something or not.  But Fay was a knowledgeable dealer so we trusted her as we had bought from her before in the Antique Trader. We took them to the first convention we went to thinking all would be excited to see them. To our surprise, no one was excited nor did anyone know anything about them. We contacted several carnival collectors and wrote to an author of one of the books at the time.  We either got no response or no knowledge of them from anyone.  So, we gave up, put them in the display and enjoyed them.
 Later we got the X Ray carnival shaker. We were concerned if it was real or not. Then we saw a table set in light marigold. So, then we felt it was indeed real. But, later, we heard that Terry Crider (her son, who you may know) would "carnivalize" a piece of glass for collectors. We never verified that story but thought we would write him to inquire if he ever did shakers. But, that never got high on our priority list so we never did it. After finding the Challinor shakers we felt more strongly that they were all real Victorian.”

The most interesting thing that I noticed is that carnival glass collectors really don’t come across them and really don’t know much about them. I have asked a couple of old time collectors of carnival glass and they really had no information to lend. The only shakers that where mentioned in carnival glass by carnival glass collectors are the “Soda Gold” shakers, in my opinion the most common and the Imperial “Octagon” shakers that were sold at the “Britt” auction several years ago.

But one thing I think we can all agree upon and that is they are some of the rarest shakers to be collected.

This subject can generate allot of opinions and discussion. Many may say there are no real OLD carnival glass shakers. There seems to be no paper trail so to speak concerning most of these shakers yet, allot of stories. Stories about shakers being iridized later in life from both original shakers and from new pieces made from original old moulds.

This article is always changing and updating and I’ve had to update it several times.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand