No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Probable modern urn shaped vase for ID please.  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
Probable modern urn shaped vase for ID please.
« on: December 04, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »
7" tall, 6" across the top.  Probably comes from The Pier (UK interiors outlet) but would just like to be sure before it goes to the charity shop.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Probable modern urn shaped vase for ID please.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 01:36:14 AM »
I think these were on sale at Au Naturale a couple of years ago Stu, and possibly as new in one of the charity shops too. What's the stand made from?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 01:37:12 PM »
Anne - thanks for the info.  The base appears to be made of glass, but with a heavy coating of perhaps some kind of plastic and paint combination.  I thought I had better double-check because it came from a closing down antiques shop.  No wonder they were closing down with rubbish like this on sale!  :)
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:33:16 PM »
Does modern equate to rubbish Stuart? surely everything was 'modern' at some point, curious as why you bought it in the 1st place anyway  ;)
Chris

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »
Does modern equate to rubbish Stuart? surely everything was 'modern' at some point, curious as why you bought it in the 1st place anyway  ;)
Chris

Congratulations on the tone of your response.  I picked it up for free in a job lot.  I guess that possibility COULD have been considered before you wrote.  I suppose some modern items are not rubbish, though some needless comments are. 
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:33:41 AM »
Sorry Stuart wouldn't have commented if I had known you were such a sensitive soul, just a general defence of glass. Why did you post  it on here for an opinion? can you not recognise 'modern rubbish when you see it Maybe you may have thought it something more than 'modern rubbish'.  Scrub my last comment about why did you buy it, if you found that offensive my apologies, Don't really understand how you got it for free though, surely you paid for the 'job lot'
For what it worth I also dislike the tone of your response so we will call it quits :cry:
Chris

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:54:33 AM »
Not sure where this thread is going, but at one point, or another, everything that one collected/collects, is rubbish to another. Stuart, IMHO, was asking for an opinion on a particular item, which he thought was worthy of the charity shop? From his original post, I presumed that the item was part of a job lot, one piece (or 2, or 3...etc...), covering the cost of that lot, which was/were not disclosed, and he just wanted confirmation that it was what he thought it was? Please can we keep responses to the original question and not make judgements?! (Sorry Anne & Mods if my response is offensive, but Stuart seems to be the brunt of a few "attacks" recently)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »
Sorry Stuart wouldn't have commented if I had known you were such a sensitive soul, just a general defence of glass. Why did you post  it on here for an opinion? can you not recognise 'modern rubbish when you see it Maybe you may have thought it something more than 'modern rubbish'.  Scrub my last comment about why did you buy it, if you found that offensive my apologies, Don't really understand how you got it for free though, surely you paid for the 'job lot'
For what it worth I also dislike the tone of your response so we will call it quits :cry:
Chris

I'm a sensitive soul, and yet you see it as some form of duty to defend (quite needlessly from me) glass...? :huh:  Surely one must be ultra sensitive to defend (though I see your initial comment as attack) something which really requires no form of defense.

It is because I realise that one man's rubbish can be another man's gold that I posted the item, and NO - the very reason many posts are made here is because it is often difficult to tell modern from more collectable glass.  GMB is full of such posts, so I don't know where you're coming from here.

An antique shop was closing down and glass was being thrown into a skip, even though a Tenovus charity shop was only about 10 doors down.  I spent an hour carting stuff to the charity shop from the skip, and took a few items for myself.  I find it difficult to understand why obtaining items for free should be regarded as so unreal, as it happens to me all the time and more often than not it happens at car boot sales.

Finally, I am sorry you don't like the tone of my response but the wonderful thing about message boards is that one never needs to say "you started it" when it's completely obvious.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 10:31:13 AM »
Not sure where this thread is going, but at one point, or another, everything that one collected/collects, is rubbish to another. Stuart, IMHO, was asking for an opinion on a particular item, which he thought was worthy of the charity shop? From his original post, I presumed that the item was part of a job lot, one piece (or 2, or 3...etc...), covering the cost of that lot, which was/were not disclosed, and he just wanted confirmation that it was what he thought it was? Please can we keep responses to the original question and not make judgements?! (Sorry Anne & Mods if my response is offensive, but Stuart seems to be the brunt of a few "attacks" recently)

Thanks for your comment Della.  Having been the brunt of the attacks you mention, I know that the best way to handle it is to leave early... so I will leave this thread after this post.  A number of threads in which I have been attacked have often been read the wrong way by several people because people (understandably) generally can't be bothered to read the thread properly, but they still like to join in because that's human nature (attacking in groups). 

It can be really sickening to be attacked and then have people chastise you further for an attacking defense.  The usual form is that one is attacked, then one responds, then a few nasty exchanges are made, then a moderator communicates and tells you that it's all to do with words losing their real meaning in the written form... and then you wonder why Grandma doesn't respond similarly to your Christmas letter if words have such flaws, then you just think "F- this whole bag of s-! unfair message board" then you forget about it until it all happens again.

I think it all comes down to the situation that both Stephen Fry and David Mitchell have both spoken about recently, whereby people seem to be very willing to abandon common politeness on message boards in favour of just blurting whatever they feel enraged about.  I am quite sure politeness would be restored to message boards if each post listed name, address, phone number, etc, but people seem to have a propensity towards and preference for aloofness, coldness, harshness, rudeness, etc, as if they are engaging in some form of character role play game where they need not bring themselves to the party.

I would feel very much less like writing this post if I didn't know for a fact that several fellow members feel the same way.  My rule of thumb is that it's best not to say anything if you have nothing positive to say.  I have fallen into the trap myself, of course, but it's important that we all recognise this human trait and do all we can to work against it.  Just because we are behind firewalls doesn't mean that we should be trying to burn people!

I cannot say that this message board is particularly cold or harsh, but I always feel that the last place I would expect to find ugliness is amongst fellow members of a website which is dedicated to the appreciation of beauty.  I wonder if I might appeal to fellow members to keep their posts polite and positive?  2010 might be a better year if we do - who knows?

Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »
 Stuart,  the impression I got from the post was you were just one of the many people who pick up every piece of glass they can find post them on here hoping for a positive ID sell the good bits in their ebay shops and palm the rubbish onto the charity shops. Appreciate what you say that a lot of posts on here are made because it is sometimes difficult to tell modern glass from collectable glass, or I should, in a lot of cases say saleable glass, lets not kid ourselves a lot post on here to see if the piece is saleable or should that be sell able? My apologies if I read you wrong and you in fact are an avid collector of all things glass. That's all I have to say back because frankly I got 'lost' in the rest of your reply after the third line.
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand