No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase with Elwell label, prob not Nazeing, can anyone help????  (Read 1299 times)

Offline orange-alert.co.uk

• Members
Vase with Elwell label, prob not Nazeing, can anyone help????
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:54:40 AM »
Hi all,

I bought this large vase recently, it stands 14 1/4" high and is made up of a layer of green bubble glass with numerous colours, encased in a layer of green glass. It has a matt roughly ground pontil to base and three handles like an urn. It has the remains of an Elwell retailers label, who I know have some connection to Nazeing but I know attribution can be difficult. I am hoping that someone recognises the shap or style.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Nazeing, can anyone help????
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
Just had a quick whizz thru the Nazeing book its not in it , it does mention the Ewell conection he did buy from other glass manufacturer but liked only to have his name on the pieces , the design looks a little familiar . jp :-X

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:05:21 PM »
Hello,

Nothing about this vase recommends it as eminating from the Nazeing factory. Certainly it bears no relation to any known, or deduced pieces from that source.

None of the following features are recorded as being Nazeing; the laying in of the colour; the 'celery' ribbed handles; the style of bubbling; nor the shape.

Other companies that Elwell bought from included, Thomas Webb, Gray-stan, Stevens & Williams and Whitefriars, as well as Czechoslovakian factories (see Hajdamach 2009, page 105). The latter would be where I would be looking, given the style of this vase - although another company, that has very little information published about it could conceivably be Arculus (Birmingham). Whether or not they were even suppliers to Elwell is a matter for conjecture at this time, since it is a name that has only recently come to the fore.

Nigel

Offline orange-alert.co.uk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
Thank you both for your informative comments and suggestions. Nigel I will have a look at your suggestions.
Regards
Steve

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Vase with Elwell label, prob not Nazeing, can anyone help????
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
Hi Steve and welcome to the board. As Nigel has suggested some other makers, including non-British, I'm moving this over to Glass as someone else may be able to add more for you there.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Vase with Elwell label, prob not Nazeing, can anyone help????
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »
I would be surprised if this is a Brit, But see nothing Bohemian in this decoration technique. French? Just to toss another possibility into the whirlpool  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand