No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: large opalescent vase, raspberry design - ID = Verlys, France, "Les Cabochons"  (Read 10508 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all
another one.. I was absolutly astounded when i saw this at just £2.30 !!!!! i nearly fell over, i believe it should have a frog or something inside
Ive checked it over and so far havent found any markings. Its made with a frosted outer and and smooth inner glass, with gorgeous opalescent rim the base is slightly welled with plenty of age wear at the point it makes contact.
Inside is 3 little rests about 1/3 of the way down, and 3 more on the bottom which are in line with the others, which is why i would imagine it would have had a frog of some sorts.
It has a "raspberry" type design with foliage between the berries
Ive seen quite a few of these attributed to Jobling and so on, but i though i would see if you guys could give me an idea on who it was made by
It stands at 17.5cms tall, 17cms in diameter accross the rim and weighs almost 1.8kgs
many thanks
michelle

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: large opalescent vase, raspberry design, gorgeous, any idea's
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
What I nice piece I have one if you look very closely you may find a faint mark in the base Verlys

Roy

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:05:05 PM »
thanks for that will study it again, is it in an opal shape as i thought i saw an mark early but then couldnt see it again

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:14:15 PM »
Michelle

Try holding the vase up to a light as it may be very faint it should be marked inside the base not on the underside and should just read Verlys with the word France below should be in the center, although there may be examples that are not marked ?

Roy

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:17:28 PM »
Barolac?

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:20:43 PM »
definatly no mark inside the glass, i have seen the Verlys marks before, are they often moulded, as in part of the vase?

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 07:41:08 PM »
yep identical apart from the measurements but i have a feeling he has done them the wrong way round as mine is 6 3/4" tall and 6 1/2" across , and his is 6 1/2" tall and 6 3/4" across.
im presuming his pricing is a little on the high side (i would be over the moon if he is bang on) :thup:
thanks for that
michelle

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:47:40 PM »
Mine is identical to yours and can I read Verlys France inside the base , yes IMHO there price is a little high I would say a good price would be about 25% of that so you should be extremely happy I would be

Roy

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »
crikey even 25% is a good whack, im more than happy  :chky:
I will check again in daylight tomorrow but im 95% certain there is no mark there unfortunitly
thanks for your help
michelle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand