No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salvador Ysart Butterfly Weights. Where are They?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline paperw8t

• Members
Salvador Ysart Butterfly Weights. Where are They?
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »
How come I cannot ever find any Salvador Butterfly weights for sale on the internet. I have checked Ebay and Google weekly for approx. 5 years and have been unable to find a single one ever have been listed or sold there. Whats up with this?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Salvador Ysart Butterfly Weights. Where are They?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:51:58 PM »
There was a Salvador butterfly (3D version) almost offered on eBay a few years ago. It was included in an image for another item and the selller commented in the description that the buttefly weight would soon be listed separately. That happened twice, and then there was no further news of it.

Generally though, Salvador Butterfly weights are quite rare - with perhaps only twenty or thirty (or less??) known so far. Often they are snapped up in ordinary auction houses by those who know what they are and are either retained by the buyer or sold on very quickly through outlets other than eBay.

What do go unrecognised, or mistaken as being by Paul Ysart, are Salvador's 2D butterfly weights!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
I am lucky, I found one years ago and here is a picture - keep looking and I hope you get lucky
Dave

Offline paperw8t

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:47:17 AM »
kevh,thanks for the info. I would have thought that there would be thousands of Salvador butterflies out there. 30 or fewer explains why I never can find them offered. There goes my dream of filling a cabinet with them. Any idea how much one would expect to have to pay for a floating butterfly weight in the event one came thru a major auction house. Are there any known  realized prices from past auctions. Of the approx 30 known, how many are 2D vs. 3D. I believe i read on a site past that there  were less 2D around.

Dave ,thanks for the great photo.It must be a pleasure to own

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:29:39 AM »
Hi

I have seen two Salvador butterflies sell at auction over the last 4 years.  As far as I recall, one went for £420, the other for around £250.

Regards, Alan.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:00:45 PM »
My guess at "20 or 30" refers to the 3D butterflies, most of which look like Dave's example, with the butterfly floating over concentric millefiori around a variable central ground (for example, plain coloured, swirl or polychrome chips).

In 2002 the No 78, April newsletter of the Cambrdige Paperweight Circle (now the PCC) contained an article showing seven [but not including Dave's] out of what was then thought to be "ten known in this country [taken as UK]". The ten were owned between six members of the paperweight club.

Since then, I have been aware of occasional examples in the UK, USA and perhaps continental Europe. So I have increased my own estimate accordingly - although few have appeared in the past couple of years.

As Alan has indicated, prices for the 3D examples can be quite variable. One was sold at Christie's London, Apr 1998, as part of the Parkington collection. It was listed as "An Ysart butterly paperweight ...", as were all the Paul Ysart examples. Perhaps both the high bidder and underbidder thought it was by Paul, or knew it was a "rarer" item by Salvador? It made UK £600 hammer price!

Generally though, UK £300-400 was considered the general retail price for many years. But until another comes up for sale, it's hard to say what they might currently be worth to a collector.

As for the 2D examples, I think it could still be a case of unrecognised items. One example, larger than most I have seen at 3.25 inch (82 mm) diameter, was sold in a Larry Selman auction and listed as probably Chinese (or words to that effect). One of the antennae was melted into the ground and the upper wing canes appeared somewhat "smudgy". But it still made the equivalent of UK £300, as two bidders clearly felt it was worth the money, probably for the "rarity" or "interest" value.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand