No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Milk glass bowl - Cabbage pattern, Portieux?  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Milk glass bowl - Cabbage pattern, Portieux?
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
Evening

Another one I dug out of the cupboard that I have had no luck on but am thinking Vallerysthall or Portieux.  Only 16.5x5.5cm.  Quite crudly done still some sharp edges.  White with tiny clear edging.  Grape on top and cabbage leaf underneath.  There is a small crack on the base and has lost lots of the green colouring.  Maker agreed or not agreed?  Also approx year please if I may.
TIA
Margi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Milk glass bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »
You're missing the lid. Portieux made a cabbage-shaped small bowl like yours, but whether any other companies made similar I don't know.  This one is marked Portieux, as is this one. Is there any hint of mark on the inner base of yours?

L.E. Smith in the US has reproduced it, but yours will be an original because of the colouring (and because you're in France).

Hopefully someone who knows more about the history of this pattern will come along to fill in the blanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
Re: Milk glass bowl - Cabbage pattern, Portieux?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:22:41 AM »
Thank you very much Cathy, I will keep my eye out for the lid.  Definately no marks that I can see or feel.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »
Hi Margi,

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/deckeldosen/04610.html - uranium green lid only

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/deckeldosen/05132.html - white complete, base marked Portieux

In catalogues known it appears first in Vallérysthal 1902, Sucrier non-rebrûlé # 3835 (sugar not fire-polished), again 1907 # 3822;
Portieux 1914 'CHOU' (cabbage) # 6719

Impossible to judge photos and drawings, however fact is that the foliage of my green lid (04610.html) and Portieux-lid (05132.html) is slightly different.

That's why I simply 'claim' the green lid to be PERHAPS Vallérysthal

Hope this helps 8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
Thank you as always Pamela.  I am now maybe thinking after seeing your white one that my bowl is possibly a second hence no lid, the rough edges and no makers mark or maybe not.  If anyone does come across a lid could they please give me a shout.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »
They didn't have seconds when these were made. Seconds is a late 20th century concept (a way of recouping your losses rather than throwing away stuff). They were either good enough (good enough having a very wide range of acceptable quality) to sell or not. And moulded makers' marks were there during pressing not added after.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »
I still have a lot to learn Christine, that scuppered my thoughts, thank you.  The vide greniers will start again soon here so will keep my eyes peeled for a lid.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
Margi, 'rough edges' because non-rebrûlés, fire-polishing them would melt the crispy pattern too, at least to a certain extent  :thup:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Veranuem

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
Hi,
I have a dish just like Margi's, only it's blue milk glass. It has sharp/defined edges which are translucent and blue, is missing its lid and has no markings, inside or outside, that I can see. Did Portieux make a blue version of their "cabbage" dish? If not, did another company make one as a fake or reproduction? Let me know if you need any pictures too. Thanks!

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board  :)

Both Portieux and Vallérysthal made also blue. A picture would be fine, because these items are still in production, and sometimes I might feel/see differences between old and new, but very difficult to tell without touching it...  :-\
Pamela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand