No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: some more davidson jade  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
some more davidson jade
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
something from lunchtime today  -  and surprisingly almost 100% translucent, as you can see from the pics., perhaps it was a poor batch.   Unfortunately, I don't do too well recognizing which designs some of these Davidson Jade pieces are - so wud be very grateful if someone is able to tell me which pattern No. this actually is please.    Diameter is a tad under 11".     Incidentally, I don't see the 'M' or 'W' on this one, just the 'MADE IN ENGLAND' on the base.   Appreciate the help, and thanks for looking  -  oh, and it was £1.99 ;D    Paul S.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: some more davidson jade
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:13:35 AM »
Is that a No. 20 bowl? What an amazing colour!

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »
Certainly not like the Jade I know, of which I have a few pieces. But for more details on Davidson's shapes, Chris Stewart's web site is the one to visit:

www.cloudglass.com

Or http://www.cloudglass.com/jade.htm for the Jade page.

UPDATE:
I would concur with Cathy that it is No.20: http://www.cloudglass.com/flower3.htm - originally made as a 3-part flower set. Sizes are never that accurate and I have come across slight differences between the same item.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 03:17:51 PM »
Cathy and David -  thanks for taking the time to reply, and yes, you are both apparently correct - I shud have picked up on the Stewarts' page showing varieties of three piece flower bowl sets.  Obviously, rushing again! - I saw only the page showing the list of Jade pattern Nos. and quantities made.    So - 608 sets (excluding seconds) manufactured  -  makes you wonder how many are left now  -  and in the intervening years how many have been dropped, lost or simply 'binned' as old fashioned!    Like you, I was intrigued at the extent of the translucentness(?) of this piece  -  I have several other pieces of Davidson Jade, but none that are quite this 'thin' in colour, but I think we can definitely say it is Davidson.    Since I don't know what method was used to manufacture these bowls (there are no mould seams), difficult to say why there shud be this variation in size  -  but certainly mine is almost at the 11" mark.    I wud dearly love to have the dome and plinth to make up the complete set, so must keep looking for them.   Personally, I like Jade, and oddly this translucent effect is quite appealing.     thanks again for your help.     Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
David  -  forgot to mention that - re our phone conversation before Christmas, re the book  -  at your suggestion I called Broadfield House, and pleased to say they had two or three copies left, so now have mine.   What is the long term view re the supplement  -  will it get into print eventually??    cheers    Paul S.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »
So - 608 sets (excluding seconds) manufactured  -  makes you wonder how many are left now  -  and in the intervening years how many have been dropped, lost or simply 'binned' as old fashioned!
Worth mentioning that I think that list applies to production during 1932 only - there's still 1931 & 33 to consider, I believe.

What is the long term view re the supplement  -  will it get into print eventually??

Chance Additions: definitely, although it may be in a digital format. Hard-copy printing in small quantities is no longer feasible, sadly, until digital printing prices drop again. And while sales of Chance Expressions has slowed to a crawl, most people will have a copy by now.

So it is anticipated that Chance Additions will be a downloadable PDF. Already it is about 10,000 words, so nearly a quarter that of Chance Expressions. Naturally with it being a digital file, I don't need to worry about even more extraneous information!

Cathy: you might want to split this part of the topic and transfer it to 'Books'? Thanks :angel:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »

Not being a 'techie' does downloadable PDF mean I can print out a copy?
P.S David,have you seen the pen tray I posted,what do you think?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »
A PDF can be viewed on-screen using the Adobe Reader software (a free download from Adobe's site), although most computers will already have this pre-installed. The resultant PDF that I create can be configured to print-out, although I haven't yet decided whether to allow this or not.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:50:33 AM »
Hi David

It'd butcher the thread a bit. I'd have to split your post, then post the relevent text under my own name quoting you, and there would be references to the phone call between you two which would have to be deleted for the rest to make sense.

Rather than have a post under my username announcing your book, would it be better to announce Chance Additions in the book section under your name?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
That's OK, thanks anyway - I'm quite busy on other matters, so am not quite  ready to announce Chance Additions yet. There are a lot of photos to take and edit, and then the book has to be designed and laid out. Very time consuming, but it is enjoyable.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand