No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: RUBY GLASS VASE  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
RUBY GLASS VASE
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
This is an elegant ruby jug. The jug measures 29cm in height and stands very proud.  The base measures 6cm dia.  and the top 5.3cm.  From the bottom of the base upwards, which measures between 3 - 4cm in height.  Within the clear section directly in the centre lies an air bubble.  The air bubble is still attached to the centre base section which is concave (pontil) .  Difficult to identify in picture. The vase is thick measuring 4mm. and very heavy See attached pics.  I am pulling at straws as to whom may the designer of this such wonderful piece.  Any help in identifying this would be most appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: RUBY GLASS VASE
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:42:28 PM »
Hi Otis,
On this one, i have a feeling it was being sold in M&S a few years ago.
Where in the world are you? Are you in the UK?
Regards
Andy

edit..
may have been this one i was thinking of?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2179.0.html
and another with the bubble, maybe Krosno,
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30100.0.html
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:14:57 AM »
The M&S ones were perfect cylinders - straight sides, not shaped like this one. I still have mine for reference. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »
Asda - they have them in a couple of different colours.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
Hi Andy,  Just to let you know.  I am in the world of Glassmessages.  Where are you?  I am most certain that I have gone into the right forum when certain glass is unknown.  This particular glass I could not identify.  You have, and I thank you.  THANK YOU!  Your level of intelligence and knowledge is far, far beyond mine.  We would not need this site if everyone was like you.  Well done!  It therefore is of my opinion that reply messages like the one you have just most recently sent, need to be in FCE.BK OR MSN.  I was indeed under the assumption that this site was for  people that want to take their interest seriously and in a professional manner.  Would you not agree? :thup:

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:38:54 PM »
This is an elegant ruby vase. The vase measures 29cm in height and stands very proud.  The base measures 6cm dia.  and the top 5.3cm.  From the bottom of the base upwards, which measures between 3 - 4cm in height.  Within the clear section directly in the centre lies an air bubble.  The air bubble is still attached to the centre base section which is concave (pontil) .  Difficult to identify in picture. The vase is thick measuring 4mm. and very heavy See attached pics.  I am pulling at straws as to whom may the designer of this such wonderful piece.  Any help in identifying this would be most appreciated.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »
Hi! Ann,  Thanks for your comments.  The only reason I was unsure was because of the state of the pontil.  There is definitely a lot of ware around the base.  I am just not convinced at the moment and will investigate further.  Once again, thanks! for your interest and comments.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:04:46 PM »
Hi! Pinkspoon,  Firstly I welcome your comments.  With ref. to your message, are you saying the vase I have displayed is the same one you have seen in Asda?  It is just that I am not sure of it's origin.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »
Hi Otis,,
i apologise if i appeared a bit cheeky, you have some lovely glass and im always learning more,
its good fun on this board, and im not as clever as you think!
Its just fascinating how much wonderful glass is in the world, and how many companies/makers
there are!! :o :o :o
I look forward to seeing more of your glass :D
Best wishes,
Andy
 :-*

ps. my question about where in the world? helps when guessing where you found the item, nothing more, im
presuming you are UK, it makes a big difference when trying to place a piece of glass!

Its like Sherlock Holmes, you have to work on clues!

x
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 02:48:54 AM »
Hi! Pinkspoon,  Firstly I welcome your comments.  With ref. to your message, are you saying the vase I have displayed is the same one you have seen in Asda?  It is just that I am not sure of it's origin.

Yup, there's the same vase, or at least a design very very similar, currently being retailed in Asda, although they're probably available through other highstreet outlets too. Origin of manufacture will be Poland or Far East if it is indeed the same design.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand