No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gorgeous, but top heavy vase russet red wash with metallic inclusions ID-Mdina  (Read 1874 times)

Offline kmax70

• Members
Did I mention that there are little bubbles/splashes of the yellow stuff over most of the pattern.   And yes, my bottom is tiny  - for the size of the vase.   I had thought about Mdina because in my copy of Antiques Roadshow Collectibles book there is a similarly shaped vase designed by Eric Dobson, but in the "tiger" pattern - same size and shape.   I think I'll list it as "probably Mdina" sometime next week - probably Thursday - for those interested.

I am very grateful for all this help.   Perhaps once I have discharged my charitable duties you'll be able to help me identify a super bowl that my older daughter gave me for Christmas.   I'll post it up once I have all this Ebay stuff sorted out

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Did I mention that there are little bubbles/splashes of the yellow stuff over most of the pattern.

Sounds right for Mdina tortoiseshell - see the vase on the link below (from my archives - this was sold a few years ago to a well-respect Mdina dealer and collector).  In particular,  look at the closeup photo - you'll see similar specks of yellow.

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass-archives/maltese-glass-1/showitem-MDINA-TORT1A.aspx

Offline kmax70

• Members
Yes, Pip, that is the colour and effect - 4th photo was the telling one.   Now I have a definite description for my listing.   many thanks, and to all who have contributed to this mystery.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It's not "probably" Mdina - it is Mdina! The yellow splodges come from the use of silver salts. Silver salts were used to turn red glass brown - hence the lovely streaky mixture of colours in it - the yellow comes from these salts interacting with clear glass.

Glad we got the Mdina Tortoiseshell versus IoWSG tortoiseshell bit sorted, though as Pip and I have both said, I don't know if this was ever an official name.
I had wondered myself if this eggy shape might be a Dobson design, Pip. :thup:

but that's just speculation.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline kmax70

• Members
Thanks, Sue.   I have now written out my description for Ebay ready for posting on Thursday, and I have described it as definitely 1970s Mdina.   I will amend the description of the finish to include the silver salts you mention.   In an earlier post I said that in my copy of Antiques Roadshow Collectibles book there is a similarly shaped vase designed by Eric Dobson, but in the "tiger" pattern - same size and shape.  Did he design the shape only, or the whole idea from beginning to end including the tortoiseshell finish?  Can I attribute this vase to Eric Dobson?    KathleenM.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
No, absolutely not!!!!!!!  :o
It's only personal speculation by Pip and me, given Eric Dobson did design after MH left, and it is known that the "Tiger" pattern is his.

Nothing is known about the shape. Nobody has been able to track Eric Dobson down since he left Mdina, despite a great deal of effort being put into it.

Very little Earthtones was made while MH was still there, but it IS his design.

After MH left, experimentation continued, designs were developed from existing ones, new designs were made. It's in the nature of Art Glass to develop. :thup:

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
No, absolutely not!!!!!!!  :o
It's only personal speculation by Pip and me, given Eric Dobson did design after MH left, and it is known that the "Tiger" pattern is his.

Nothing is known about the shape. Nobody has been able to track Eric Dobson down since he left Mdina, despite a great deal of effort being put into it.

Very little Earthtones was made while MH was still there, but it IS his design.

After MH left, experimentation continued, designs were developed from existing ones, new designs were made. It's in the nature of Art Glass to develop. :thup:

Sue, if you don't know then I definitely wouldn't - I only know a little about Mdina and what I do know has mostly been learned from you but thanks for the compliment of including me in your Mdina gang ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D
You have an excellent eye for and a love of glass Pip :-*
I suppose I'd doubt a basic egg-shape of vase is something which could honestly be credited to any particular artist - I'd imagine it's been around since the first pots were made. I suppose it would simply have been introduced at Mdina by somebody.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand