No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass elephant pink / grey alexandrite is it Murano?  (Read 945 times)

Offline Fisher Brookfield

• Members
Glass elephant pink / grey alexandrite is it Murano?
« on: January 29, 2010, 10:10:25 PM »
Hi, could anyone help me to identify this glass elephant?, the elephant changes colour depending on the amount of light that shines on it the elephant changes from a light greyish pewter to a bright pink i belive this to be alexandrite. The elephant is 4.25" in height and 2.50" wide. Is it a Murano piece? and if so who made it and how old is it. Hope you can help
Many thanks Fisher  

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Glass elephant pink / grey alexandrite is it Murano?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 01:19:30 AM »
Someone will help soon,not me I'm afraid after one to many G&T's I've just put  the computer on and the first thing I see is a pink elephant so I'm going to bed,welcome to the GMB,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:28:55 AM »
Fisher, I have seen the design a few times before and, yes, I do believe it is Murano. I'll search through my files to see if I might have one with a label. It used to be easy to search my files, but now it takes a while. I need a better system.  :)

It looks like it is alexandrite. Alexandrite is a shade of blue under flourescent light and lavender under incandescent. Some pieces I have look more pink, especially as seen by the camera. Some pieces that look lavender to me are pink when I take their pictures.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:44:22 AM »
No luck finding one of these elephants with a label. It will have to remain a mystery a little longer.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fisher Brookfield

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »
Hi thanks to both Keith and Anita for taking the time out to reply to my post. Keith i know what you mean about too many G+T's and pink elephants but i would wait till they take flight before i surrendered and crawled into my bed. LoL. Thank you both very much and i appreciate your efforts. Be well
Fisher.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand