No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cheap bottle glass but great effect (in my opinion) - Kegla  (Read 701 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Cheap bottle glass but great effect (in my opinion) - Kegla
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:53:24 PM »
I thought I would share a piece of glass which is one of my favourites and looks fab on display, but is the cheapest and most worthless.

It was for sale for £10.00  :o  I would have paid it cos I really like it  :-[  however I asked the dealer to peel off the sticky label... and lo and behold the frosting came off with it.  Shame because I really like it - however she gave it to me for nothing of course and it looks fantastic well lit :)

It's Kegla glass. 35cm tall.   I have looked them up and I have another of their bottles (a shoe) with olive oil in :) however that is just clear.
They also don't seem to do these bottles anymore.  I wonder where it came from and what was in it and who 'sprayed' the frosting on... probably never know.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Cheap bottle glass but great effect (in my opinion) - Kegla
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:32:53 AM »
 :thup:
I have to agree, looks good!
Iestyn Davies did a series of tall glasses with a very similar face thing on them - but not cheap, bottle glass, or with cold sprayed-on "frosting"!

Given the sprayed on stuff comes off, you could, if you wanted scrub it all off completely and resurface it yourself - either with glass paints (in my experience, expensive and very hard, if not impossible, to get looking good).

Or just spray it with canned spray paint - copper metallic might look good - you could change it any time you wanted to suit your decor!

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »
What a great looking bottle, I love it! I collect (or try to!!!) quirky bottles and I'd have gone for that one too. 8)

It was reminding me also of some Iestyn Davies vases that I saw on Bernard's stall at Harrogate which are referenced here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26924.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »
ohhh that was mine lol (in the link lol), i was trying to find it a little while ago when i saw this piece but anna got there before me  ;D
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:23 PM »
thanks for your replies - Anne also for the Iestyn link which is beautiful.  I obviously have the poor man's version  ;D but I still love it.
Sue, good ideas about respraying it.  The ironic thing is the colour it is sprayed is gorgeous and translucent so it looks great illuminated.  I doubt I could replicate it.  It is also quite hard to get off strangely (I tried scratching a small part)- I would have to sellotape and peel the entire thing!
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand