No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help for Small Crown w/Rose Cane  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
ID Help for Small Crown w/Rose Cane
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »
Any ideas as to the maker of this little crown?  It is about 2x2 inches.  The base is concave with a generous flat rim. 

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12422

Thanks for looking .... Lily :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
Re: ID Help for Small Crown w/Rose Cane
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »
I, too, have a mystery crown weight with a rose...possibly by the same maker (?)  I'd love to know if anyone can ID either of ours.  Here's a link to pictures of mine (The rose is easier to see in person than it is in the picture)

http://picasaweb.google.com/AndreasSnaps/MysteryCrownWeight#5438575222361542914

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
I, too, have a mystery crown weight with a rose...possibly by the same maker (?)  I'd love to know if anyone can ID either of ours.  Here's a link to pictures of mine (The rose is easier to see in person than it is in the picture)

http://picasaweb.google.com/AndreasSnaps/MysteryCrownWeight#5438575222361542914

It is an interesting pattern and does indeed resemble a rose but that pattern is created by the cross sectional view of the twisted canes where they are drawn together.  There is no "button" of cane applied at the top of the crown in your weight. 

If they are from the same maker I would venture that they are widely separated in time of production.

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:00 AM »
Actually, it is DISTINCTLY a rose... a PINK & white one.  It's definitely not a cross section of the BLUE and white ribbons.  I have many PW's with roses, ranging from antique Bohemian & Clichy to modern Cape Cod Glassworks & Parabelle, but this one has been my mystery.  It was sold to me as a Pairpoint, but I never thought it was.  I have another Pairpoint crown that is different in every aspect. 

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:16:52 AM »
I took another look at your pictures...guess I didn't look very closely before (or maybe at all, LOL).  Yes clearly NOT the same maker, unless he was just learning when he made mine.   ::)

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
Actually, it is DISTINCTLY a rose... a PINK & white one.  It's definitely not a cross section of the BLUE and white ribbons.  

Sorry, you are right.  I couldn't see the color on my laptops screen yesterday.  Looking at it here at home it is clearly a rose cane.

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
Rocksmom's weight has a base that looks very Whitefriars.   But the rest ...?

Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »
The roses do look a lot like Parpoint roses, they've made paperweights in many very different styles,
some well made and lots very rough.

I have seen P. roses vary from almost "ghostlike" as in the second link, and well defined as in the first link.

I have two Parpoints with roses, one scramble and one concentric, but they both have broken off pontils and no base polishing.

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:28:08 PM »
When I got this little crown, two glassworks came to mind -- Pairpoint and Cape Cod.  As to artist, perhaps William Burchfield, as he worked with Pairpoint and then started his own studio, Cape Cod Glass Works.  I agree the rose leans in favor of Pairpoint, however, this crown could be one of Burchfield's earlier CCGW pieces.  My understanding is that not all his pieces were signed or had signature canes.  Labels, well, they are lucky to survive.

I would love to see photos of other Pairpoint weights and roses.

Thank you all for your input and interest .... Lily :)

Rocksmom, I'm glad you added your rose crown.  The rose and base are similar to mine.  Pairpoint was my first thought.   

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:56 AM »
Your wish is my command!   :chky:  I've added a pic of my CCGW crown w/ rose, and one of my very old Bohemian concentric cane weight w/ roses.  The other Pairpoint Crown and the Parabelle with roses are currently on loan, but I may be able to get and add pictures as soon as tomorrow. 

http://picasaweb.google.com/AndreasSnaps/MysteryCrownWeight#5439046729609273970 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand