No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown sweetmeat. Old? English?  (Read 804 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Unknown sweetmeat. Old? English?
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »

Hi all,

Can anyone give me any information on this piece, please. Tons of wear to base, snapped off pontil and air bubble in stem.
Incredibly heavy (824gr - 1lb 13oz) and rings like a bell. I suspect it is lead crystal.

Diameter of bowl, 5.75", height 5", foot diameter 4". The thicknes of the wall of the bowl is 0.25" - 7mm

I am not sure if this could be Georgian or possibly a Victorian reproduction.

TIA
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Unknown sweetmeat. Old? English?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
Della,
tricky from photos, but it looks pretty old, surely early 19thC
(its older than me  :D )
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »
Lol, Andy..........

Thanks for your reply. I have handled a few similar pieces today and I really think this is an 18th century item, but I could, of course, be way off.  ;)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
Della,
i think very likely its 18thC
 :D

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
  Hi ,  :cry: Sorry for this , but i believe your sweetmeat glass to be 19th century, several things suggest this, the small platform that is between the bottom knop on the stem and the foot is not a feature seen on 18th century glasses,though very common on all types of early to late 19thc glass items, as is the form of the stem itself , reffered to as a dumbell stem,I would also expect the foot to be more conical ie less flat underneath than this 1 is,as can be seen by the line of ware which is someway in from the edge of the foot,more oviously though i believe is its weight and the apparent thickness of the glass , 18thc glass does have a heavy feel to it ,early ones being called Heavy Balusters ,but yours is way way to heavy even for 1 of those , I have many and can say that for a glass of this size made in the 18thc its weight would be 1/2 or less of yours and would also be more thinly blown. All of this(and that I have seen many before) adds up to my giving yours a 19thc date , in the 18thc style , but also add that it is not without its own merits and should not be dismissed in the appreciation dept for being 19th century, unfortunately though it makes a great difference to its commercial value,

Cheers,
          Peter.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »
Thanks Peter,
nice to know you're looking in, i keep meaning to post a few old bits on my shelves!
Cheers
Andy

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:26:11 AM »
Hi Peter,
Please, do not apologise. I am very grateful for your comments. My field is more 1970's, than 1830's+, or so.
Very many thanks  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand