No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Teardrop Vase on eBay ID = possible fake signature  (Read 2906 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Teardrop Vase on eBay ID = possible fake signature
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:57:23 PM »
Now that the auction is over, I thought I would ask people about the nice sommerso vase at http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGUSO-MURANO-ART-GLASS-VASE-CIRCA-1960s-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ310197543422QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item483936e1fe
When I first saw it, I thought it was Cenedese. The signature on the bottom surprised me. Did Seguso VdA make vases like this one? It is very nice, just not a form I associate with Seguso, but sommerso vases are often a mystery to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
Re: Teardrop Vase on eBay
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »
I can suppose that the engraved signature was added later (may be just for the ebay auction???  8) )
For me it looks as a generic, very common sommerso vase, more or less mass produced in the last 40 years...
Imho of course.

Alex

Murano glass gallery www.artofvenice.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Teardrop Vase on eBay ID = POSSIBLE FORGERY
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »
Hi - changed the subject to reflect the identification. There's nothing wrong with saying that in your opinion, the signature looks to be faked.

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Teardrop Vase on eBay ID = possible fake signature
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
The glass looks just horrible to me!  EEK!!!! :spls:

*Sorry I hope no one bought this on the forum.  No offense.* 

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Teardrop Vase on eBay ID = POSSIBLE FORGERY
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:07 AM »
Hi - changed the subject to reflect the identification. There's nothing wrong with saying that in your opinion, the signature looks to be faked.

I had wondered about this. The Seguso VdA signatures I have seen have been toward the edge of the base, instead of big, front, and center like this one. But there's a lot I haven't seen. The seller was offering a couple of birds that look like they could be Seguso VdA (or Cenedese -- I'm not sure) that has a huge Seguso Murano on the bottom of at least one. He seems to be able to find a lot of signed Seguso and Archimede Seguso pieces. He even found a signed A. Seguso bianco nero bird. I've handled a lot of bianco nero pieces, but have never been lucky enough to find any signed ones. I guess I should buy his?? :D

The auctions that I am writing about are under his completed listings. It would be good to read some opinions about the signatures.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline glasslover

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:19 AM »
I'm glad this topic came up. Although I am quite the novice collector, I formed the opinion a long time ago that some of the signatures and attributions from this source were a little dubious.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:23:34 AM »
I checked a few more of his recent things. Item 310200116751 is beyond questionable. I've never seen any Venini signature written like that. Item 310200116066 is a very generic fazzoletto and ugly to boot. It's a shame that we can't see the worn Barovier & Toso signature on it. I would need some real convincing on this fazzoletto.

I look at eBay animals a lot to try to figure out some attributions for the zoo. This seller has helped me a lot. Many I thought were probably Fratelli Toso, AVeM, or maybe Ferro. I've looked for a couple of years, so was glad to see the Archimede Seguso signatures on the bottom of some of his offerings. Saved me a lot of work.  ::) (Note: they are still not in the zoo.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 02:40:38 PM »
I have seen their listings for years......  and it has been years since I put any stock in what they say about a piece of glass.....  

I am always, shall we say skeptical, when a seller finds as many signed pieces of glass as this one does....

Some of the signatures are obviously OK, but far too many are obviously not OK, and in some cases they have been blatantly fake to those that would know any difference....
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »
This signature appears totally NOT RIGHT. I have been chasing Seguso stuff for a couple of years and never seen anything like this.

I think if this goes the way it is travelling there will be a solid market in engraving machines for glass sellers, on reflection could be an opportunity for other companies who could copy most of the real signatures and put them on the bottom of your piece for a small fee! Or better still sell a metal template that your engraving machine can follow.

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
11 of 15 Italian glass pieces they sold that you can still view are "signed". The only one I personally believe to be real is the Tagliapietra piece with a factory  label.... There is a signed "Seguso" in an asymetrical design of clear amber and green with a polished base and a Seguso sig. If it is not Brazilian or chinese glass I will sell my entire collection of Italian....  
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand