No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: When Ronald Stennett-Willson design for Lemington?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
When Ronald Stennett-Willson design for Lemington?
« on: November 13, 2005, 12:56:50 PM »
Hi All,

One of my finds today is this little green dish with its label, which reads,

Made in England, Lemington, R.Stennett-Willson Design.

I've not heard of Lemington, and I wondered if anyone else has. It's not a very inspiring dish and to be honest I won't have looked at it if it wasn't for the label.

http://tinypic.com/fmutk5.jpg.

It's just 1" tall and 3.5" wide and very green! Sort of uranium looking but I haven't got my light to hand at the moment to check.

Any help anyone?

Barbara

(Edited to spell the poor mans name correctly)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
When Ronald Stennett- Willson design for Lemington?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 01:15:22 PM »
Barbara — Are you sure it doesn't read R. Stennett-Willson?   This one is easy to remember — double-barrelled surname, so double every letter possible.

See topic http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,147.0.html for starters.

All the best,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline BJB

• Members
When Ronald Stennett- Willson design for Lemington?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 02:41:34 PM »
Oh Bernard, you are right, the writing is small and my arms aren't as long as I need them, I think I might have to get some glasses in the near future :lol:

Reading that  thread am I right in thinking that it was made in the late 1950's or early 1960's and they are not that common? When did he leave Lemington?

Barbara.

BTW  is he still alive?

Offline cmdg

• Members
Stennett-Willson
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 09:45:18 PM »
I believe RSW collaborated with the Lemington Glassworks(also known as the Osram(light bulbs etc) Glassworks,run by the G.E.C)in the early 1960's,he designed using existing processes,the Harlequin Tumbers were very popular,along with other corporate clients such as British Rail,Carlton Tower Hotel (the 'Tower' service) and Gilbeys(the 'Gilbey Glasses',made in 1958 for Gilbeys centenary), he won a Design Centre Award for his 'Canberra' Vase,which was designed for P&O in 1960 (he also designed all the glassware on-board the Canberra)..He established the King's Lynn Glassworks in 1966/7,so I guess he finished working elsewhere around this time.Possibly better known for his work whilst at Lemington,his designs continued to be made under the name of Wedgwood Glass (in 1969) ,perhaps his renowned 'Sheringham' candleholder range is arguably one his most popular designs,the larger multi-disc versions are highly 'collectable' these days!.RSW had worked with Frank Thrower(Dartington glass +..) and Michael Harris(IOW glass) earlier in his career,and he had conciderable influence on both Caithness and Dartington Glass.He retired from Wedgwood in 1979,to set up the Langham glassworks along with Paul Miller.
If anybody has any info about RSW they wish submit for inclusion to a forthcoming website devoted to Ronald Stennett-Willson,please contact me!.I hope this may help fill in a few gaps!!.Chris Green

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand