No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French Glass vase with Koi, unknown maker ID = Portieux  (Read 1505 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
French Glass vase with Koi, unknown maker ID = Portieux
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:29:36 AM »
Hello, can anyone identify the maker of this vase. It is marked on the bottom with circular stamp, and I can make out the word "Port"

Many thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=400103046963&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: French Glass vase with Koi, unknown maker
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:10:03 AM »
Portieux, perhaps?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:29:02 AM »
Hello,

Thank you so much. I found the mark is genuine Portieux. Is this vase rare? I can find no reference on the internet>

Best regards.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
Quite uncertain how frequent it is, I certainly have seen it before but never attributed, stamped or signed. Normally large frosted vases from the 1930s ('in the style of Lalique") have either a SN mark on the underside (which may, or may not be Souchon Neuvesel) or were made in Belgium - but there does not seem to be a lot of factual information.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
Hello, I have seen this vase noted at rlalique.com in the section on fakes. Other than that, I can find nothing in a search of Portieux. This one does have the Portieux mark to the base.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
It says something about the people at Lalique to make disparaging noises about the competition. It certainly is no "fake" - for that to be the case there should be an original and an imitation.
I'd say, go and enjoy the extensive website from Portieux and keep clicking away until you find the catalogues, as well as the items that never made it that far.

http://www.verreriedeportieux.fr/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
 ;D
I think it's lovely, I have seen vases like this before, and had been under the misapprehension they were Bohemian in origin. Thanks for making me reconsider.

>:D Though I had been wondering if this one was perhaps just a little "shy"...... :24:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
It says something about the people at Lalique to make disparaging noises about the competition. It certainly is no "fake" - for that to be the case there should be an original and an imitation.

It has been discussed here before at great length, that the intention at the website is to simply label it as "Fake" when it is being represented for sale as a piece of authentic Lalique..... I believe a member of their group was involved in the discussion and recommendations were made on how they could correct the mis-impression it gives to simply call it "fake". It was suggested they use text to identify pieces so the correct attribution would appear when the visitor hovered over the picture with a pointer.

It is also not the people at the Lalique company with the website, it is a group of collectors that I do not believe are associated in any way with the "people at Lalique"....  IMHO we certainly do not want to confuse the two groups, or imply anything about the Lalique company that is not correct, such as incorrectly implying that they are disparaging their competition.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »
Hello, this vase has been offered at auction with a spurious R Lalique signature. That is how it ended up in the section on fakes at rlalique.com. They do not just pick pieces and call them "Fake Lalique" If this vase comes up for auction with a R Lalique signature, what is it to be called then?

Best regards.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:04:50 PM »
If this vase comes up for auction with a R Lalique signature, what is it to be called then?

'Portieux with a fake Lalique mark' would be my suggestion. It is certainly not "Fake Lalique", but then neither are the Barolac, Verlys, Libochovice, Consolidated and other pieces shown on the site in question....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand