No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther Rosen for Pamela  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Walther Rosen for Pamela
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:43:07 PM »
I saw this bowl, see pix, which is now in your museum, with a chrome stand just like (or very similar to) the one here at an antiques centre at the weekend

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Walther Rosen for Pamela
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:31:07 PM »
It makes sense for a manufacturer to base several of their smaller 'sugar' or 'bowl' designs such that they will all fit a common metal stand.    Did Davidson create a similar situation?   Were you unable to take a pic. of the stand at the weekend??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:14:25 PM »
I think it is more likely the wholesalers ordered the metalwork to fit, as it was often them that decided on the glass-metal combinations. In the Walther catalogues, similar items fit onto glass bases, and tops and bottoms seem interchangeable. It's possible chrome-type bases were a UK thing. I didn't have time to take a photo; it was a flying visit during a 230 mile journey.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
Feel sure I had seen one or two of Pamela's pieces with chrome stands  -  so maybe not just the U.K.
what happened here then?       "as it was often them"

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »
Davidsons situation was slightly different in that they were eventually taken over by Abrahams who amongst other things produced metal fittings/holders for a variety of glass objects for both Davidson and other manufacturers.....the shoe was then on the other foot no doubt whereby the metal manufacturer deemed what glass items he wanted made for his fittings.  Marketed under the tradename of Brahma.....I actually bought a Brahma blue glass mayonaise bowl with chrome fitting ...STILL IN ITS ORIGINAL BOX and unused from a boot sale before Christmas. I also have a Davidson 1908 pattern green glass double cake stand with chrome fittings and also a 1908 pattern oblong bowl in dark green with a clip on chrome handle.    What a shame the quality of the chrome never seems to last as well as the glass.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »
Thank you, Christine!
The one you donated to my museum in fact does not slot into any of the Walther glass bases - I therefore believe now that this was especially made for export to UK market after WWII to receive a chrome stand like the one complete you've seen lately!

Thanks again  :hug:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:24:25 PM »
thanks UKGLASS  -  you have obviously had some good luck at the boot sales, and thanks for sharing what appears to be a good knowledge of some of the pressed glass components.     Must admit I generally find the quality of the chrome to be quite high  -  maybe it's the south of England air ;D.    With my limited experience of these metal components, it wud appear that there are in fact two sorts of metal pedestal/stands/parts  i.e.  those that are truly 'chrome' and then those that appear to be more of a pressed aluminium.    I might have this interpretation wrong, but certainly it seems there is more than one sort of metal finish.    Wud agree that the 'chrome' sort wud naturally fare less well.    Paul S.   

Offline barb800

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »
Hello All,

I haven't been on for a while and have just read this post.  I have one of these bowls with stand (purchased from the UK).  I'll take some photos and upload in the next day or two. 
Its a lovely little bowl, I use it on my dressing table.

Best Regards,
Barb.

Offline barb800

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:33:58 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Photos as mentioned - the bowl appears to be attached to metal base by what looks like putty.

Best Regards,
Barb.

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:53:43 AM »
Hello
I have the same design in a large pink frosted trinket pot,I wondered which design this was!
Thanks!
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand