No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow Candlesticks  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Tramonto

• Members
Yellow Candlesticks
« on: November 13, 2005, 10:53:17 PM »
I found these lovely yellow Candlesticks at a carboot today.  The lady I bought them from suggested they might be Nailsea and everything she had looked rather old.  I can't find anything like them in the books and would really love to know more about them.  Would anyone have any info on them please?  

http://tinypic.com/fnfdjs.jpg

Thanks

Mod: Image vanished, may be replaced at a later date.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Yellow Candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:03:24 AM »
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Yellow Candlesticks
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 08:24:18 AM »
They are not 'Nailsea'. Search this Board for 'Nailsea'.
They have a ground rim and blown, uncompressed foot and my guess would be 'bohemian'. Not that that detracts anything from them. Yellow is a find in itself, in my opinion!
Anyway, I 'm an amateur so don't take my comments seriously.
Best wishes, Ruth.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Yellow Candlesticks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 10:10:09 AM »
Certainly end of the 19th Century or beginning of the 20th; Almost certainly not Moser, maybe one of the other Czech manufacturers or maybe French - this yellow spatterware seems to be all over France and may well have been made by Pantin/Legras as is generally assumed there.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Yellow Candlesticks
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 06:57:34 PM »
I've just bought this one today! How's that for luck?

The strawberry's look Delicious!  :D
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tramonto

• Members
Yellow Candlesticks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 11:12:19 PM »
Oooh, Tigerchips, that vase is sooo yummy !!  Thanks for the Moser vase link, it certainly resembles the candlesticks.  Ivo, thanks for dating them!  I'm really glad they are old -  :D  Can I ask Ivo please, why not Moser?  (just trying to learn).

Glassyone, all comments gratefully received, I'm no. 1 amateur.  I think yellow is great - did I do good for £1 then?  :)

Thanks for all your replies.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Yellow Candlesticks
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 09:16:01 AM »
Quote from: "Tramonto"
Can I ask Ivo please, why not Moser?

I only ever believe Moser was made by Moser when it says Moser, or when it is properly documented. Unfortunately, in the US,  Loetz and Moser are the only names that people recognise - possibly because Moser is the traditional supplier of table glass to the "presidanitedstates" - and anything, literaly anything Czech gets misattributed as Moser - cut, blown or enameled.
I believe 9 out of 10 Moser attributions are speculative and would not want to join in.

Offline Tramonto

• Members
Moser
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 11:09:05 PM »
Ivo...thanks for explaining.  I've got alot of catching up to do...I confess to never having heard of Moser until yesterday!  You have a great knowledge, thanks so much for sharing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand