No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: some nice pics. for a dark wet Sunday evening.- Whitefriars 'Wealdstone' ?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Appreciate this is a little egotistical, but thought people might like to see part of last Friday's charity shop acquisitions, especially with the weather being so depressing at the moment.    Ivo has of course kindly put me right on the small repro beaker, so that is going back where is came from, and I expect the sugar will do the same in due course.    The 'Wealdstone' has some water staining which I hope to remove soon - and according to Jackson is 'Violet' (am I correct please?),   The Webb's is a beauty, and glows well under the torch. Finally, I am still hoping that Lustrousstone will kindly give me a maker for the attractive uranium Deco bowl (please), although this also might have to move on.  Hope you are now all suitably green >:D   Paul S.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: some nice pics. for a dark wet Sunday evening.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
Looks like a great haul!

It would be interesting to know Emmi's or JP's opinion of the tall violet vase. It might not be Whitefriars 'Wealdstone'. I've taken the liberty of changing the title to try to attract more attention - hope that's okay.

Mod: Corrected my own editing/grammatical errors. :spls2:

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: some nice pics. for a dark wet Sunday evening.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »
Paul — the Deco bowl was by Sowerby.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline keith

• Members
Not fair,I can only find amber bullseye,never seen any other colour,nice little collection,you must have some good charity shops,I trawled through 19 in three local towns earlier this week and came back with an African stone bust and no glass,
                                                                                                                        Keith.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
The tall one looks more like Webb can we see birds eye picture and the size of pontil and base .

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Paul, the "wave ribbing" on the violet vase is not a Whitefriars/Wealdstone style.  I have tried to illustrate and explain the differences with photos (including a vase like yours ) on my Wannabee blog if you'd like to take a look.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
 :-[   sorry, looks as tho I've blown it again then.   unfortunately, I have a problem at home in that my internet connection suddenly went down last evening, and not sure when I will be back on line, so don't know when I will be able post better pics - however, I definitely will.   (at work at the moment).  Anyway.............here goes........
many thanks Bernard  -  think I have said elsewhere that in my mind I was thinking a good chance it was Sowerby.
Keith.....  good pieces, but an embarrissingly large carbon footprint of course  -  like you, I sometimes visit 15 - 18 locations (across half the county)  -but the small Webb's uranium bowl was a great find.   What size was the bust, but the way ;)
Emmi  -  sorry, no excuses - rushing again, but from memory think I must have looked at the polished pontil and not seen anything.   I will certainly look at your 'Wannabee blog (complusive viewing since I have made the mistake).
jp  -  sincere aplogies if I 'got you going'  -  but I have learned from these errors, and at least I shudn't make these mistakes again.
I will get better pics. up as soon as I possible can, and my thanks to everyone for their time and trouble.     Paul S.

Offline keith

• Members
Here's a pic' of one of my wavy's to compare(the bust was small but perfectly formed)
                                                                                               Keith.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
internet connection back up :), so I will now mumble some excuses.
the first pic. shows my few pieces of Webb's - all of which except the 'amethyst' vase have a Webb's mark etched somewhere on the underside of the foot.  So this absence of a name, plus the shape gave rise to my downfall.    Of course when it is pointed out to you, the waves are quite dissimilar  -  wfrs. are almost swags perhaps.   Shame that I just picked on a piece that was an identical shape.       Is it unusual for a piece of Webb's to be unmarked?   Anyway, won't make that mistake again.   My thanks to all.        Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
David has something about this pattern on his webpage here (right at the bottom):
http://www.glassyeye.com/glasspages/brit-webb.html

The shape is also the same as my glasses which David and I thought were Webb, even though they have a chevron wavey pattern: http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-1024 - David has the same style in a different colour which were on the board somewhere but I can't find the earlier topic.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand