No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: EAPG pattern ID = Geo. Duncan & Sons #800 Bag Pattern  (Read 4528 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
EAPG pattern ID = Geo. Duncan & Sons #800 Bag Pattern
« on: November 15, 2005, 12:01:42 PM »
Does anyone know whether this be EAPG heavy finecut in "vaseline" (American definition)? EAPG drives me crosseyed with its millions of patterns...

I also wonder what sort of bowl it is. It has a rim which looks suspiciously like it would have held something like a lid?
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6438
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6439

I can't do exact measurements at the moment because we're moving (and all sorts of strange things are coming out of the garage!). I can't immediately find anything with a reliable measure!

Thanks!

Cathy

Connie

EAPG pattern known as "Heavy Finecut", but not cut
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 05:18:06 PM »
Cathy -

Try Duncan aka Duncan Miller.  It looks like their pattern and the color is right also.  I am at work on lunch break  or I would look in my reference books.

Connie

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 10:16:29 PM »
I *think* it could be Duncan Bag Ware c. 1880s.  The pattern is pictured on page 24 in "Depression Era Glass by Duncan" by Leslie Pina.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 12:47:21 AM »
Hello:

This is a bowl in Geo. Duncan & Sons No. 800 Bag pattern in canary produced circa 1884.  Factory sold to US Glass in 1891, had a disasterous fire in 1892 and never operated again.

George Duncan's Sons & Company formed in 1892 by J.E Duncan, H.B. Duncan and J.E. Miller was a completely new company with a different product line.  In 1900 this later firm was reorganized as Duncan & Miller Glass Co.

Sid

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 01:35:44 AM »
Thank you Sid and Connie, marvellous information.

Cathy.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 01:49:44 AM »
These are typically called BERRY BOWLS.  if it is bigger than about 4" diameter (say, 7 or 8" across), it is generally referred to as a MASTER BERRY BOWL.  No lid was made for it.  IF it had a place for a metal foot to attach (with threading, not just a marie), it was called COTTAGE WARE.  same pattern, just a different name for the metal foot on all the BAG WARE pieces.

Geo. Duncan made some fine vaseline glass (yes....uranium yellow green from good ol USA)
mr. vaseline glass

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 02:08:21 AM »
Thanks Dave!

It's huge, about 22cms diameter, and has a few chips to the base and around the side which this seller has missed. But I'm still very happy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand