No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cranberry,a question of manufacture......?  (Read 716 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Cranberry,a question of manufacture......?
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:23:21 PM »
Nice cranberry bowl with applied decor' and threading under the rim,I assumed that cranberry glass was as it says,a 'gather' of cranberry coloured glass,however this piece appears to be clear with a thin coating(flash) of cranberry as you can see by the chip on the rim,is this the norm or is there more than one way of producing this type of glass,
                                                                                  Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Cranberry,a question of manufacture......?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:09:40 AM »
Meant to put this in 'general glass' would a kind moderator move it for me,ta ever so,
                                                                                                      Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
Mod: Moved from "British & Irish"
KevinH

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »
Typically cranberry (aka gold ruby) is produced by first gathering ruby rolls that are lehred and then reheated (these look like large sausages). A small bud of gold ruby is cut off the roll and attached to a blowpipe and then shaped by a skilled worker called a caser. Then, the bud of gold ruby is covered with crystal, and the item is made by blowing in a mould and subsequent finishing to create the final shape. Thus, the cranberry color is a very thin layer on the inside of the item, and the crystal is on the exterior. 
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks James,didn't realise they did that with cranberry,it's obvious with thicker walled cased glass but this is so well put together you can't tell there are two layers,ta,
                            Keith.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:12 PM »
This was created in a similar way; except, I/we think they started with a clear gather. The coloured disc looked black because it was so concentrated. White frit was then marvered onto the glass bulb before it was opened out and spun before flopping into shape under gravity. The clear foot was the last bit to be applied. Unfortunately, we went on the spur of the moment without the camera.

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »
I wish I could see a better picture of this "blue' piece. I doubt that the applied foot goes on last, as there has to be a way to hold the piece when the foot is applied. I suspect the clear foot is put on while the piece is on the blowpipe; then, it's stuck up on the foot and cracked off the blowpipe to be warmed-in and finished to its final shape. Is there a punty mark on the outside bottom of the foot?

PS we're not talking cranberry here, so this discussion needs a new title and its own thread?
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »
No but the technique was basically the same, but you're right about the foot. The punty mark was fire smoothed out I have a terrible visual memory and it was only last month  :huh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand