No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano or not? ID = Alum Bay  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Murano or not? ID = Alum Bay
« on: November 16, 2005, 09:54:55 PM »
Glass, glass, glass. Does anybody know how to stop me from buying glass? Don't answer that, i'm enjoying it.  :D

Nazeing, Scottish or Murano or something completely different?

Rough pontil

Any ideas?

It's got the runs.  :shock:

Any comments welcome.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Murano or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 09:58:16 PM »
Perhaps not to stop you buying glass, maybe which glass you buy. But then such oddities do have the attraction of mystery if little else!

Offline BJB

• Members
Murano or not?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:16:19 PM »
Hi,

They look like Alum Bay glass, from the Isle of Wight and would have had a label on the base covering the pontil. The first one especially looks like the jack in the pulpit ones.

Barbara

Have just found this one on ebay,  item number 7367116710, which looks very similar to yours.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Murano or not?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:32:20 PM »
My little grey cells love a little mystery now and again.  :)

Thank you BJB, I never would have guessed.  :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Isle-of-Wight-Alum-Bay-Glass-Vase_W0QQitemZ7363251927QQcategoryZ991QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a similar one but not quite the same.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Isle-of-Wight-Glass-Alum-Bay_W0QQitemZ7365391208QQcategoryZ75559QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder if that runny bit was done on purpose or not?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand