No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VSL Pressed Epergne  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
VSL Pressed Epergne
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:03:35 AM »
Went to a home estate sale today by invitation. Lady was 92 & she & her husband (US Army General) were station in Berlin from 1947 to 1953. 98% of the items were china, porcelain, bisque, etc. very little glass, but I picked up three items I'll post separately. This one is a VSL epergne, pressed. I looked through a 1935 VSL catalog, but could not find it. Not a spectacular piece I know, but cleaned up nicely. Signature is Val St. Lambert Belique. Question I have is this probably prior to 1935? Thanks, Ken

Offline UKGLASS

• Members
Re: VSL Pressed Epergne
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
Hi Ken
I assume that the item is in its original state and not a marriage of the metal parts, in which case the chrome foot at least gives you a bit of guidance.
Chome plate was first used in UK in 1929 & I cant imagine the continentals would have been more than a year or two before/after so you can at least take an educated guess that it is not prior to C1929.  I have had a look through my VSL catalogues and whilst there items of similar shape from around 1933 they tend to have a glass foot.
I would expect that the continental companies, like those in the UK, sold glass parts to companies who produced metal fittings and assembled the item for sale onto the public so it may well be that this actual item is not in a VSL catalogue.
Hope I have been of some help on at least giving you a start date
UK GLASS

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »
Thanks UK. That definately helps & we had the same type of thing over here when it comes to glass lamps (parts supplied by glass manufacturers to lamp companies) & you are correct...I think it might be chrome instead of silver when I look at it very closely as the only the only marking is under the base & it is simply #108. The pattern of the bowl & horn are identical so thats probably what it is...an assembly of parts. Much appreciated. Ken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:19:53 AM »
It is entirely possible that it was bought new, of course. Chrome fittings were very much in vogue in the UK at the time the UK, so why not elsewhere in Europe. That general style of chrome foot is quite common here.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
Thanks Christine. Ken

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 05:52:03 PM »
Hi Ken, the glass pattern is already pictured in their 1913 catalogue also

I've got these http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/03486.html and another epergne like yours but with additional two smaller vases left and right
from the centered.

If I remember it right name is LUTETIA - will check back tomorrow
 :girlcheer:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:28:06 AM »
Thanks Pamela. Kind of wondered if it wasn't earlier as epergnes were pretty much out of style by 1930...at least here in the US. Ken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:42:19 AM »
That base is very post war though. I have just found a picture of a similar one on a Bagley sugar bowl that wasn't designed till the 1950s. The range includes peg vases that were used in epergney type stands. Many European designs were produced for very long periods. IMHO the design is old but the jury is still out on the date of manufacture.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:48:42 PM »
Ken,
correct name of pattern is Lutéce :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »
Thanks Pamela, appreciate the info. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum