No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: guess the maker...  (Read 2894 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
guess the maker...
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »
more scottish weights...

http://img221.imageshack.us/i/dscn0729v.jpg/

in the album there are close up pics taken with my point n shoot...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: guess the maker...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
Strathearn and Perthshire?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »
top middle is "in the style of" salvador or vincent ysart.

bottom right looks to be ysart brothers or early vasart. probably the same for top right and left.

its the two on the bottom row.....each has that lilac cane which I've seen on richard more's site

http://strathearn.smugmug.com/StrathearnVasart-Ysart-canes/1946-to-1955-Ysart-Vasart/1089873_nxraw#53246678_o7igV

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
My guesses would be:

Later Vasart / Ysart Bros / early Strathearn

early Strathearn / early Strathearn / Salvador Ysart

But I am not really sure where later Vasart turns into early Strathearn!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:23:29 AM »
Needs a UV light test - but only shortwave (not "blacklight") will separate the Ysart Bros from the Vsart Ltd & Strathearn.

My guesses are:
Top left - Vasart Ltd but might be Ysart Bros
Top Centre - Ysart Bros and maybe by Salvador (of the type that have the "Y" cane)
Top Right - Vasart Ltd / early Strathearn
Bottom Left - Vasart Ltd but might be early Strathearn
Bottom Centre - Vasart Ltd but might be early Strathearn
Bottom Right - Ysart Bros

By the way, I have heard of no confirmation, other than for a clopsepack weight that Catherine Ysart (daughter of Vincent) showed at a talk she gave - and which was very similar to a closepack that I have, that any particular weights could be reasonably attributed to Vincent Ysart (other than those reported to be made by him [enclosing Ysart canes in acrylic domes] after he finished glassmaking.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »
As for the "lilac cane", as seen on Richard's site, I would have no problem with that cane being made at the Ysart Bros company (or even pre-war). And the weight on Richard's site looks quite untidily set, which could indicate Ysart Bros work rather than Vasart Ltd or later.

But, as ever, lots of the Ysart canes were used over a very long time, so the existance of an early cane cannot be used alone as a suggestion of a period in which a weight was made.
KevinH

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »
It seems remarkable that paperweights made in Scotland in the last 30/40/50 years can prove so incredibly frustrating!!

I really enjoyed finding your website Kevin and playing guess the maker :thup:

I think the 'game' of trying to discover the actual manufacturer is part of the pleasure of collecting such an interesting area of glassmaking. A Vasart or Pirelli label is a nice find as this then allows cane comparisons.

It would be a great idea to create a website with labelled examples - but this wouldn't solve most of the attribution issues given the exchange of canes from manufacturer to manufacturer!!

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »
Hi there.

I'm interested in the second page of weights on cfosterk's link (click on the 'previous' button).  There's 6 crown-cum-swirls.   Are these by an Ysart?

Thanks.
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:21:37 AM »

They are Harland weights (ie Paul Ysart and/or one of his apprentices).

Alan.

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 11:18:42 PM »
I'm not sure I agree Alan, most of the Crowns I've seen were produced during the Caithness period of Pauls output (1963 to 1970) although a number of the designs continued in the Harland period.

I've seen a number of labelled examples - particularly with the rectangular PY label but also bearing the interwoven PY circular label. A very simple yet stunning design and because they aren't usually marked a fruitful area for collecting...

I have 12 such weights including a 'matched' pair - feel free to peruse my limited picture uploads which include part of my measley ysart collection...but then i'm only a spring chicken to the paperweight world!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand