No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Royo vase, pictures at last  (Read 5010 times)

Offline fe-nix

• Members
My Royo vase, pictures at last
« on: March 22, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »
Hi everyone. I have always loved glass, so when I saw a beautiful, huge vase in my brothers garden bin waiting to be collected by the bin men I had to save it. This was some years ago now and the mystery vase has sat in my Kitchen ever since. Apart from when I took it to the antiques roadshow and waited for 4 hours only to be told "someone might give you £100 for it if you're lucky".

Last night I decided to google the signature on the base "Royo" and came up with this http://atlantaantiquegallery.com/i-150544-moser-signed-royo-butterfly-and-floral-motif-vase.html Almost the same as the one in my kitchen except the glass is green and it's twice the size. The enamalling is incredible, the colours and the desighn. There are men on horses, swans and stylised flowers. I will get my daughter to take a picture later so you can see.

I would love to know more about it, which is why I took it to the antiques roadshow all those years ago. Everyone who sees it says it's ugly but I love it, it's been such a mystery for so long.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: New with Royo vase.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:35:50 PM »
You have come to the right website and we hope you will enjoy what you find when you search this site for Royo.  :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:52:28 PM »
Welcome to the board. Type Royo in the search page that opens when you click on the blue search tab http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=search (not the white box) and you will find quite a bit of information, especially in the later threads when the Moser myth is debunked.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
The threads Lustrousstone mentioned are very helpful. Royo is more of a mystery than Cirera. They are both Spanish glass decorators. Royo was mentioned as working in Barcelona in one reference, but one of our members has found convincing links to the Gordiola Glassworks. Neither Cirera or Royo had anything to do with Moser glass, though their work can be found in some Moser glass references. The link of the decorators to Moser was an example of misinformation that gets repeated enough until it becomes accepted as fact, even though the "fact" was never really accepted by any experts. The only similarities of Royo and Cirera glass to Moser is that both had colorful enameling.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline fe-nix

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:19:27 PM »
Thanks, I've had a look but most of the pictures are no longer available. I notice there is a lot of discussion about the label. There is one on the bottom of my vase but someone has tried to remove it. I can make out it say "made in spain" and the label has postage stamp type perforations around the edge. Also the glass is a cm thick, It makes for a very heavy vase, with it being 15 inches tall.
The gilding on the "knob" bit just before the base is worn unfortunately but the rest of the gilding and enamel looks perfect. It seems to depict some kind of battle, with men and women on horseback carrying swords. The horses are white with ornate decoration, and lots of flags.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »
here's three - just in case they disappeared from sight.

Offline fe-nix

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
Thanks Ivo, the third one "green" is the same colour and the design, although different resembles mine. I will have some pictures soon.

Offline fe-nix

• Members
My Royo vase, pictures at last
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:46:42 PM »
Sorry the pictures are a bit blurred but you can see the signature and the shape of the vase and images.

Offline fe-nix

• Members
Re: My Royo vase, pictures at last
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »
Does it look like it could be an original or fake?

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: My Royo vase, pictures at last
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 12:28:48 PM »
Definitely original, I'd say. The style is unmistakable, and I don't think anyone has started faking Royo yet.

I will combine this with your original topic. It would make it easier for future searchers to find.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand